File Method Error On Reboot

Yinepuhotep

New Member
When I run Eraser on my temp folders, I get a lot of "locked file, do you want to erase on reboot" messages. So I reboot, expecting Eraser to do the erasing thing. Instead, I get the error message displayed here, and the files are not erased.

Is it necessary to create a global variable or a config file that Eraser reads when loading on boot, so that Eraser does what it's supposed to do?
 

Yinepuhotep

New Member
I installed v. 5.8.7b and tried the erase on reboot action again. I got the exact same error as I did with v 5.8.6.1.
 

Joel

Active Member
Could I ask what erasure method you are using for this particular task?

Joel
 

Yinepuhotep

New Member
Joel said:
Could I ask what erasure method you are using for this particular task?
Joel
Well, you see, that's the problem. I'm using the default setting that is set when you install Eraser.

When it reboots, it loads Eraser with -method, but DOES NOT specify a method. So Windows gives an error that says that a method must be specified.

That's why I asked if there is a configuration setting I must set, or a command file I need to create, that will tell Eraser to use a specific method on reboot.
 

Joel

Active Member
Could you run by the Erase options and explicitly set an erasure method? I checked the code and it seems to be fine.

Joel
 

Yinepuhotep

New Member
Joel said:
Could you run by the Erase options and explicitly set an erasure method? I checked the code and it seems to be fine.

Joel
Unfortunately, I can't find anywhere to set a method for reboots. I have erasure methods set for files and unused disk space, and those work just fine when I run on-demand and scheduled erasing jobs. It's only when it tries to load Eraser on reboot that the problem appears.

One thought that comes to mind is that I set up a custom method, which is the one I have set as my default method in the preferences screen. Unfortunately, that custom method does not appear in context menus, either for the shell or for the recycle bin, and I wonder if the fact that my custom method doesn't appear as a choice anywhere other than in the preferences screen might be a part of the problem.
 

Joel

Active Member
Yes - the custom method is a problem. It was not implemented completely in v5 and that's probably the source of all your problems. I'd suggest you not use the custom method if you plan to use the erase on restart feature, or wait for version 6.

Joel
 

Yinepuhotep

New Member
Joel said:
Yes - the custom method is a problem. It was not implemented completely in v5 and that's probably the source of all your problems. I'd suggest you not use the custom method if you plan to use the erase on restart feature, or wait for version 6.

Joel
Thanks. Using one of the pre-packaged methods seems to have solved the problem, exactly as you suggested.
 
Top