Floppy version of dban-1.0.5 won't boot

ecemu1234

I haven't been able to get the floppy version of dban-1.0.5 to work. Here's what I've tried:

* On a Windows XP box: I logged onto an account with full administrator privileges, I downloaded the dban .zip file and extracted its contents, I deactivated the virus scanning software, I inserted a floppy disk into the floppy drive and ran the install.bat script. After creating the floppy I used the 'md5sum' utility in Linux to verify that the floppy's MD5 checksum matches the dban .img file's MD5 checksum, and the checksums match.

* On a Linux box: I downloaded the dban .zip file, extracted its contents, inserted a floppy disk into the drive, and used the 'dd' program to transfer the contents of the .img file onto the floppy:

% cd <directory where the .img file resides>
% sudo dd if=dban-1.0.5_i386.img of=/dev/fd0 bs=1024

I used the 'md5sum' utility in Linux to verify that the floppy's MD5 checksum matches the dban .img file's MD5 checksum, and the checksums match.

Unfortunately, after I create the dban-1.0.5 floppy it does not boot on any of my machines. I've tried 3 different brands of floppy disk. I've tried creating the dban floppy on 3 different PCs (one Gateway, a Dell GX270 and a Dell GX280). I've tried booting the floppy on 4 different PCs. I've even asked an IT guy from a different department to try it, and he can't get it to work either.

So is the dban-1.0.5 boot floppy broken, or are we doing something wrong when creating the floppy?

First, run the BIOS setup program and ensure that the boot order is correct. The floppy drive must be checked before any other device.

Second, what is the error message? A blank screen? A line that says "SYSLINUX"? A line that says "INVALID BOOT DISK"?

Back