Has DBAN destroyed my harddrive?

AngryJ

DBAN finished, stating that some "non-lethal" Errors occured.
I then tried to partition my drive using the WindowsXP Install CD, but after creating two partitions, the installer suddenly told me that he was unable to read the disc. I pressed a key and got a bluescreen.

I managed to partition my disk using the Seagate DiscWizard and even succeded installing Windows but everything HD-related was insanely slow.
The Seagate SeatoolsOnline informed me, during its Disk-Test, that the drive was giving SMART-Errors (didn't say which though).

Does anyone have an idea what could have caused this?

The drive was a Seagate ST94019A notebook drive, unfortunately I don't have the logfile of DBAN.

The Seagate SeatoolsOnline informed me, during its Disk-Test, that the drive was giving SMART-Errors (didn't say which though).
This means that the disk is bad. Replace the disk or you will eventually lose data if you continue to use it.

After I used Seagates DiscWizard to overwrite my drive with Zeros, everything seems to work again.

Is it possible that DBAN overwrote the table of bad sectors? (Which was recreated during the DiscWizards operation)

DBAN wipes everything - the best way to look at it is that after a wipe you have a totally unformatted hard drive. A clean disk, if you like (although one with bad sectors in your case!). After running DBAN on an entire disk, any tables of bad sectors, or anything else for that matter, are wiped.

Back