I want to wipe the drive and reinstall- but need help!!

Hello! :D

I posted a topic in the eraser support forum about 1/2 months ago titled, a simple guide to erasing internet content with eraser.

http://www.cipherserver.com/phpbb2/view ... 77c9c53b34

In that thread people told me use spybot to shred usage tracks and eraser to erase unused disc space. Anyway, at first I was a little unsure as to how well this get's rid of all content, so I was told by others in the thread that my best bet would just be to completely erase the entire drive and reinstall- I've been told that DBAN is the best program to use. I'm quite worried about doing this because I know I need to back-up any data I need to keep, and I'm not brilliant with computer's so need a couple of questions answered if possible. :) I went on another forum to ask about this but their instructions weren't very clear, so I decided to come and annoy everyone on here againwith my boring questions! :oops:

1. If I use DBAN, how many passes would I need to use in order to insure that it's almost impossible for a data recovery centre or PC shop
to not find it?? (or just a great PC person with lots of money)?

2. When you place the CD-RW or CD-R in to make your disc it says `boot up` the disc, what does that mean and how do you do it??

3. I need to create a clone of my current drive just incase anything goes wrong, I'm well aware that it would bring back my history if I had to reinstall the original drive, but if the worst came to the worst I'd have to. So my questions about it are:
a. What's the best free ghosting program you know of and which website can you get it from??
b. Where abouts on the drive do you store it?
c. If I have to reinstall the old drive how do I do it??

4. I need to back up my norton antivirus program + it's reg keys, configuration and as well as the program its self - basically anything and everything that I need in order to use the program.
a. Is there any programs out there which can show you where the reg keys, configuration, original downloaded file are located for norton, or would I need to find them manually, if so can someone tell me where I'm most likely to find them?? I also need to back up games, the my music folder, my documents, my hp printer and all its confi and reg keys.
b. What should I save the mymusic, my documents, games to a floppy disc or will I need to save to cds/dvds??
c. If I'm saving a game for instance would I just go to the root of where it is saved (D:/Documents and settings for instance0 and right click- send to- floppy.

That's all for now- sorry to be a pain! I think I have a few more questions but I can't remember all of them right now so will come back hen my first lot have been answered! :)

1. If I use DBAN, how many passes would I need to use in order to insure that it's almost impossible for a data recovery centre or PC shop to not find it?? (or just a great PC person with lots of money)?
The defaults are safe. Do not change them.

2. When you place the CD-RW or CD-R in to make your disc it says `boot up` the disc, what does that mean and how do you do it??
Provide more information about what you are trying to do.

a. What's the best free ghosting program you know of and which website can you get it from??
Knoppix has utilities that can clone a Windows 95/98/ME/NT/2000/XP computer.

b. Where abouts on the drive do you store it?
You can't. Store it on a network share or on removable media.

c. If I have to reinstall the old drive how do I do it??
Boot with Microsoft Windows installation media and follow the instructions.

4. I need to back up my norton antivirus program + it's reg keys
Contact the vendor of this product for help with it.

Ah, when I talk about `booting up` the disc I mean when you are asked to create a boot and nuke disc it says `boot up` the disc. I want to know how to do that ( and what it involves).

When you say store the clone of the drive on a removable media what do you mean exactly? Are you talking about a disc, if so which type?

What is the microsoft windows installation media and how do I get it to appear?

When I reinstall fresh versions of my old drives what will I have to do- will using DBAN destroy both drives at the same time or will I have to do it individually? Which drive should I wipe first and which should I install first (remeber, ME was the original OS). Also when I do reinstall them do I have to do it from the very first page you get when you turn on the PC (the one which allows you to chose which drive you want to go on), or is there another way of doing it?

About the data back-up, are there any programs (free if possible) available which are designed for saving data (so they actually show all the applications which come with a particular product - a game for instance or will I have to find everything manually?

Finally, will I be able to save data (programs- including their reg keys, documents etc. ) to a normal floppy disc or will I need anyother kind of disc??

Thanks!! :)

Ah, when I talk about `booting up` the disc I mean when you are asked to create a boot and nuke disc it says `boot up` the disc. I want to know how to do that ( and what it involves).
"Booting up" means to start the computer with the operating system that is on the floppy disk or cd-r disc. The proceedure for changing the boot order is peculiar to the computer. Read the computer manual or contact the vendor for instructions.

When you say store the clone of the drive on a removable media what do you mean exactly? Are you talking about a disc, if so which type?
You will botch this part. Hire a technician to help you.

What is the microsoft windows installation media and how do I get it to appear?
This is the CD-ROM disc that has "Microsoft Windows" printed on it and should have been bundled with your computer.

will using DBAN destroy both drives at the same time
Yes.

Also when I do reinstall them do I have to do it from the very first page you get when you turn on the PC (the one which allows you to chose which drive you want to go on)
Yes.

About the data back-up, are there any programs (free if possible) available which are designed for saving data (so they actually show all the applications which come with a particular product - a game for instance or will I have to find everything manually?
No.

Finally, will I be able to save data (programs- including their reg keys, documents etc. ) to a normal floppy disc or will I need anyother kind of disc??
No.

What kind of disc do I use to save the stuff to them? Could someone give me a link to a website where I can order such a disc?? :) [/b]

"Removable media" are things like floppy disks, CD-R discs, and USB drives. You can buy them from any vendor that sells computer parts.

Getting application data out of Microsoft Windows intact is usually difficult. Hire a technician to help you with the backup.

Back