Lost hd space

bitsycream

Well. I think I have found where my lost hard disc space is in Windows ME that I inquired about in an earlier post, but I dont know what to do about it. While running a routine scan with ad-aware I noticed it took an extremely long time scanning C:\_restore emp. Could it be that each time I ran erase freespace on my 30 gig drive, with only 2.35 gig used, system restore was adding all those wiped free spaces to its temp file? These files are "access denied" so I cannot see them. Can anyone help me with this problem?
Thanks, Al

OK, the restore file was the lost space problem. I disabled system restore, rebooted, re-enabled system restore and rebooted again and bingo!! there were my lost gigs, back again. Lost my previously stored restore points, but they werent important anyway. Now all I have to do is find out how to purge the files from the swap file.
Al

Glad you got the problem squared away. I think this type of problem can occur if the system crashes, or if some other type of Windows quirk takes place. :)

Of course, disabling System Restore removes all the pre-existing restore points.

Back