NTFS alternate-data-stream vulnerability

A

Anonymous

I believe that version 5.3 could not erase content written into alternate data stream on NTFS. I haven't seen any information that this has been fixed. What is current status?

The following is from the History.txt that comes with the latest version of Eraser:

V5.7
Fixed icon issue.
Upgraded DBAN To 1.0.1
Improvments to alternative datastreams submitted by Sami
Minor Typo errors in help files files.

Note it does say "improvments" (sic) rather than the issue being totally fixed.

Thanx Al,

I just noticed a reply for similar question posted on Jul 06:
"If you select "Alternate Data Streams", Eraser will also find and overwrite possible unnamed data streams associated with the file. This option is available only on Windows NT/2000, alternate data streams are supported only on NTFS file system."

If this issue is really fixed, it should be spelled out in "uppercase letters" on the product feature list.
For any big business, that contemplates file-wiping tools, it is very important feature.
Another, equally important feature is availability of paid technical support subscriptions.
And having BIG Businesses on the customers list is a good thing... (This I think would be a hint hint for Heidi Computers)

michael said:
For any big business, that contemplates file-wiping tools, it is very important feature.
Wouldn't it be much easier to just avoid using alternate data streams? Or better yet, use encrypted file systems. If "a big business" has data important enough to erase, they would be fools not to use encryption. Anyway, Eraser does indeed erase alternate data streams, all of them.

>>Another, equally important feature is availability of paid technical >>support subscriptions.
>>And having BIG Businesses on the customers list is a good thing...
>>(This I think would be a hint hint for Heidi Computers)

The Sun has a greater chance of going Nova in the next 2 days than the possibility of a company paying for support!

For BIG Business that might alter the odds to Nova in the next 10 secs.

Garrett

>>Another, equally important feature is availability of paid technical >>support subscriptions.
>>And having BIG Businesses on the customers list is a good thing...
>>(This I think would be a hint hint for Heidi Computers)

The Sun has a greater chance of going Nova in the next 2 days than the possibility of a company paying for support!

For BIG Business that might alter the odds to Nova in the next 10 secs.

Garrett

Back