physical erase vs software

A

Anonymous

Checked out the degauser and they are not something most folks will buy at 2 - 3,000 but they also make the hard drive unuseable totally burned out !!

What if anything is there between a long slow software wipe total destruction.

Why would any person want to do that tho? Most normal people have nothing to hide unless of course you have sick video/images or something that could be a danger to national security, then you deserve to get caught.

If you believe people have nothing to hide, why are on a forum like this?

Everybody has stuff to hide, its called privacy. Otherwise why dont you just post your full name, address, height, weight, salary and favourite color?

See you do have something to hide.

Go here: http://v4.livegate.net/wipe/ it will answer all of your questions regarding privacy. Degauss isn't that secure, overwriting is more secure than that.

Why would any person want to do that tho? Most normal people have nothing to hide unless of course you have sick video/images or something that could be a danger to national security, then you deserve to get caught.
You my friend are a ignorant asshole. There are a lot of reasons why one would want to totally erase and secure their HDs.

jimmy said:
If you believe people have nothing to hide, why are on a forum like this?

Everybody has stuff to hide, its called privacy. Otherwise why dont you just post your full name, address, height, weight, salary and favourite color?

See you do have something to hide.

Indeed. But did you actaully read what I said? Why would any normal person go to the lengths like the above just get rid of a few pictures of your naked girlfriend or your account info for your bank? You don't, but erasing them files are a very good idea. If you use that type of hardware then you have got to be very paraniod about getting caught for something you shouldn't have on your PC's hard disk or even have something that you wouldn't want a rival firm to see because it could cause financial loss.

People on the Internet today have seen to many films or have read to much and so there for become paranoid. There are a lot of messageboards I visit and people always harp on about, "but would product x stop the the FBI or NHTCU from recovering my data?". If you have got something on your hard disk that you feel could do something to your comapany then get it wiped properly. My line of work sees people every day that try to wipe data from their systems because they knew that they shouldn't have it on there and so they go to great lengths to stop us from recovering it and using it for a potential conviction, which of course fails nearly 100% of the time. These are the type of people that would use such a thing, not your average home user.

Livegate is shut down, so the privacy link one of you posted doesn't work.

I don't know of any option between the slow software overwrite and the total destruction of degaussing (destroys the hard drive magnets, etc).

As for the great lengths people go to in attempting data destruction, there are a lot of misconceptions about how data is stored and deleted. Some feel that defragging a certain number of times or formatting a drive will protect them. But most of us on these forums know that those steps are ineffective. Using Eraser is one of the better ways to destroy data while keeping the hard drive usable, and in my forensics experiments none of the files were at all recoverable after being erased. Certainly nothing was recoverable after using DBAN.

Back