problem after 5.3 erase on xp

jbender

I have been using 5.3 for about a month, scheduled to erase free space.

My problem is that it must have crashed in the middle and used up all of my free space.

I was able to remove the tmp files but then now the system takes forever to boot and then if it does boot and I try to explore the c: drive it just sits and runs the hard drive.

garrett01

Administrator
Staff member
Try to run the erase again.

Garrett

jkshop2

I've experienced the same recently, XP sp2, eraser 5.3. If you select the C:\ directory in explorer, the disc spins for ~10 minutes while "flashlight" searching, then freezes.

When it happened, also closed the app mid erase on C unused. It left a massive pile in something like C:\~erasure\temp. It had thousands of files with random titles like "CY63K8.SQ9". I shift-deleted the directory, rebooted, then ran Eraser again (bad choice?....).

Now boots are way long, and if I happen to touch any file within the C: directory in explorer, I go thru the spin/crash routine.

HINT? If I scan C with Avast antivirus, it show it is scanning those same thousands of files in C:\.....there still there. But they don't show, even with hidden files showing.

HELP?

spy1

Start/Run/cmd

del C:\~erafswd.tmp