question about eraser's effectiveness

CrimsonCobra

Hi, I'm new here and I just downloaded and tried out eraser. It's a very good program, but I want to know if it's as good as any other secure delete software (I'm talking about shareware, NOT freeware). I'm usually skeptical when it comes to free secure delete program. The reason for this is because they are cheap in terms of quality when compared to shareware or commercial softwares. I tried other free ones, but found they are not as good as commercial ones. Ace Utilities is one of the commercial software which I just downloaded already. The secure deletion method that comes with Ace Utilities is very effective and I may plan to purchase it (cost $29.99) only for this feature. Unless you can convince me that eraser is also effective, maybe I don't have to shell out some dough, but I'm still not sure.

CrimsonCobra said:
Hi, I'm new here and I just downloaded and tried out eraser. It's a very good program, but I want to know if it's as good as any other secure delete software (I'm talking about shareware, NOT freeware). I'm usually skeptical when it comes to free secure delete program. The reason for this is because they are cheap in terms of quality when compared to shareware or commercial softwares. I tried other free ones, but found they are not as good as commercial ones. Ace Utilities is one of the commercial software which I just downloaded already. The secure deletion method that comes with Ace Utilities is very effective and I may plan to purchase it (cost $29.99) only for this feature. Unless you can convince me that eraser is also effective, maybe I don't have to shell out some dough, but I'm still not sure.

Personally i would suggest to you to review this web site and the postings therewithin. I cannot personally speak for the author or his choice of representatives he's chosen to respond to varying inquiries. You will however, by virtue of some very intelligent minded members here, be able to satisfy some curiosity about drawing comparisons as you carefully follow their dialogue in response to those like myself who have presented your same request before. http://cipherserver.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=583 Welcome my friend and feel free to pose any & all concerns you have regarding The Eraser Software.

Erasers effectiveness

I think you will find that the consensus among experts and the rest of us alike,is that Eraser does exactly what it says on the box.Unless you wish to defeat the forces of law and order that might have unlimited resources
you should have no problems-and I`m not even sure about them! But they won`t tell you,will they? I think the original writer of the program Sami Tolvanen said in reply:"Q: "I have been using Eraser to overwrite all sensitive data from my drive. Is it really gone now?"

A: It depends on how much money and effort people trying to restore your data are willing to use. Erased data cannot be recovered with any software utility, and even if the hard drive electronics are bypassed and disk platters are examined, recovering data will be extremely difficult, if not impossible. You may want to read more about the common security problems from the help file though.

Back