Questions about erasing the replaced file

cyberjackal

New Member
I have a bunch of large video files totaling 31.5 GB (they are in AVI format) that I wish to securely delete them. However, the erasing process would take too long, even with a 1-pass so I decided to come up with a new way to permanently erase them.

It works like this: you create a new file by right-clicking on "Text Document." Then you rename the file and save it as *.avi (the filesize itself is 0 bytes). That way, you drastically reduce the existing AVI files' size by replacing them with newly created AVI files, going from 31.5 GB to 0 bytes. After that, you overwrite the new AVI files with eraser.

The only thing I'm concerned is that the computer memory might store or retain the original AVI information even after you replaced them so I don't know if this conceived method works. Do you think I should go ahead with this method?
 

Gralfus

Member
If you are concerned about someone using forensic tools to search your drive, then they would still find the files. The file names are irrelevant. Your method doesn't overwrite the information on the drive, so it can still be recovered by forensic programs, based on the file headers and footers. Eraser overwrites the files, rendering them unrecoverable.
 

cyberjackal

New Member
Gralfus said:
If you are concerned about someone using forensic tools to search your drive, then they would still find the files. The file names are irrelevant. Your method doesn't overwrite the information on the drive, so it can still be recovered by forensic programs, based on the file headers and footers. Eraser overwrites the files, rendering them unrecoverable.
Initially, I have some reservations at first, but based on what you said, you are correct that my method doesn't work. I shouldn't have devised it in the first place. Oh well, but thanks anyway for steering me clear of my ill-conceived method. Looks like I'm going to have to embrace patience when I plan to erase 31.5 GB AVI files. I hope 1-pass sequence is enough to render them unrecoverable.
 

Overwriter

Active Member
Hi cyberjackal :)

cyberjackal said:
I hope 1-pass sequence is enough to render them unrecoverable.
On a modern drive it will be enough for most people.
 

cyberjackal

New Member
Overwriter said:
Hi cyberjackal :)

cyberjackal said:
I hope 1-pass sequence is enough to render them unrecoverable.
On a modern drive it will be enough for most people.
Thanks for the info. I’ll be sure to keep that in mind.
 
Top