"Secure Move With Eraser" question

A

Anonymous

lets say i have a 1GB folder with sensitive information in it and i want to move it. you of course have the option to justy just drag it to a different location. or to right-click drag and chose from "secure move with eraser" "copy here" "move here". i already know what "copy here" does. but why would i select "secure move with eraser" instead of just "move here". i know "secure move with eraser" will copy it to the new location then overwrite the old location. my real question i guess is, what does "move here" do? i know it's not copying it to the new location then deleting the old location, because it is done INSTANTLY. and copying that much info over then deleting the old info would take awhile. so is it just changing the location info in the HD's Table Of Contents? if thats all it does and the actual info remains in th sameplace, then what would even be the point of "secure move with eraser"?

Anonymous said:
so is it just changing the location info in the HD's Table Of Contents? if thats all it does and the actual info remains in th sameplace, then what would even be the point of "secure move with eraser"?

yes, that's what "move" does, -if- the info can remain in the same blocks. (that's a guess, about changing the locatin in the HD TOC, but i'm sure about the rest of this) The purpose is a bit more clear if you move files between disks or partitions. Then the os does indeed copy the file to the new location and delete the old copy (insecurely). Secure move with eraser copies it to the new location and erases the original data. You could do this in two parts, copy it then go back and erase, but instead there's a handy option to do it with one command.

Back