Selecting files for erasing

robbo

I have some links to websites which I want to erase. When I right-click on one, there's a very short context menu, and this doesn't include the 'Erase' or 'Eraser' choices in the list. Looks like links are treated as a special case. Anyway, I went into the Eraser program itself and chose New Task, Add Data.
This only lets you select one file at a time for deletion, which makes a long and tedious process if you have several files to erase.
Have I missed a way to select several files, or could this be written into the file selection process?
The standard use of the Shift or Ctrl keys would be fine.
Also, I tried to use the Add Data, 'Files in folder' selection and the 'Include mask' line to include only '*.com' files but nothing happened.
Any ideas?

DavidHB

Your description of the behaviour is correct, and I agree that it would be good to have the ability to select multiple files in the single files selection dialog. You might wish to register with Trac and raise a ticket on this issue.

The reference to website links is confusing. Are these standard Windows shortcuts (.lnk files) which specify a URL? If so, they should erase normally. If not, what kind of files are they?

David

Joel

.lnk and .url files both have the Eraser context menu extension for me.

robbo

Thanks for your replies.
I deleted all the links in question (by dragging them to the Eraser 'work area') but created a new one for testing by dragging the icon from the address bar of Firefox to my desktop.
Right-click on this link and theres no 'Eraser' entries in the context menu. The file Properties show the 'Type of file' as "Internet Shortcut (.URL)".
And theres a tab for 'Web Document'.

PS If Joel's URL files have Eraser in the context menu, maybe I should try reinstalling Eraser. I have version 6.0.7.1893.

Joel

Which version of Windows are you using?

robbo

Windows 7 32 bit.
I tried reinstalling Eraser but still can't get it to appear on the '.URL' files, though it works OK on all the other types of file I tried.
Not really urgent, just curious.

Joel

Press Windows Key + R, type cmd, press enter, and type reg query HKCR\.url and hit enter. Please copy and paste the output into your post.

robbo

There you go:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.url
(Default) REG_SZ InternetShortcut

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.url\PersistentHandler
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.url\ShellEx

Joel

How about:
Code:
reg query HKCR\.url /s
reg query HKCR\InternetShortcut /s
? Use the same steps as above. They are two separate commands.