The Program does not have the required permissions

qyrral

How do I give Eraser the required permissions? I try to run the program and get the message " The program does not have the required permissions"

Without more information, I cannot be sure. If you are using Vista or Windows 7, you may need to run Eraser as Administrator. Use the link in my signature to go to the FAQ, and read the sticky post on common Eraser problems.

David

So running as Administrator is certainly the first thing to try.

David

Hi,

I have the same problem even though I am running as an administrator on my personal notebook.

Session: Sunday, 18 July, 2010 10:29:46 AM
Sunday, 18 July, 2010 10:29:46 AM Error The program does not have the required permissions to erase the unused space on disk. Run the program as an administrator and retry the operation.

Thanks for any help.

You need to exit all running instances of Eraser before running it again as an administrator.

Hi David. I appreciate your generosity with your time. I tried running eraser as administrator to no avail. When I click run now I almost immediately get the message completed with errors under status. Under next run it says not queued. I am puzzled; if I try to erase a single file it seems to work just fine. The only time I encounter this problem is when I try to erase the unused disk space on drive C.

What does it say in the Task Log?

I am having the same issue. I just did a fresh install of Vista on a notebook I intend to sell. I set it to erase all free disk space and got the same message.

The message occurs immediately upon starting the task and all it says is that the program does not have the required permissions. I rebooted and ran as administrator just to check that and got the same error.

Hi Joel
I want to thank you for your time. I am now able to erase unused hard disk space but get the message done with errors. What is this telling me? Am I safe? I'll look for your reply and thanks.

Go to the Task Log, filter to Errors and above, and see what results. Copy and paste the contents of the log here.

Session: Monday, August 16, 2010 2:23:22 PM
Monday, August 16, 2010 2:23:22 PM Error The program does not have the required permissions to erase the unused space on disk. Run the program as an administrator and retry the operation.

Still doesn't work even when I run it was an administrator

Did you close the running instance of Eraser first? If that makes no sense, read the FAQ (link below) post on getting to know Eraser, where it is explained.

David

I had the same problem. I closed Eraser. I ran it as Admin. Still, not the correct permissions.
I then checked the system tray and saw that it had just been minimized, not closed. I then exited it from the system tray and ran it as Admin. Then it worked.

I'm having a similar problem.

I'm logged on as an administrator, using Windows 7 Home Premium. Whatever I try to erase I get errors of the type: ....could not be erased because the file's permissions prevent access to the file.

Now I know what this should mean, but seeing as I'm admin and I can do anything I like with the files in question, I'm at a loss to understand what the problem is. I have exactly the same promlem when running Eraser on the Recycle Bin.

Regards.

Back