time to erase

joebib

Forgive me if this has already been addressed, but if it is, I couldn't find it.

On my older PC (Dell with Pentium 4/XP home edition/Windows 5.1), the eraser scheduler says "running" for hours and never seems to finish, and yet on my new Gateway laptop (Centrino & Vista/Windows7), eraser only takes maybe 5 minutes to complete.

BTW, I have it set to the Pseudorandom 1-pass setting on both computers, and have eraser 5.8.8 on both (since the 6.0.6 kept crashing).

Is it normal to take so long?

Thanks in advance for any help.

The bottom line is that the wipe may have completed on your old machine, but definitely failed on the new one. Expect a free space wipe to take several hours, particularly on a larger hard drive.

Version 5.8.8 should be fine on the XP machine. Is the wipe not completing at all, even if you allow it to run, say, overnight?

Version 5 works for some people on Windows 7, but it is not a supported combination, as the security environment is so different to that of XP. I'd guess that you were trying to use the 'stable' build 1376 of Version 6; sadly, this build is anything but stable under Windows 7. I am currently using the most recent build (1884 at the time of writing) satisfactorily under both Windows 7 x64 and Vista x64. It is probably wise not to try to erase cluster tips on a free space wipe of a system drive, as that seems to produce a vast task log of mostly inevitable warnings, but everything else is working OK.

I think that Joel is planning a new release of Version 6 towards the end of this month. In the meantime, I'd say that the nightly builds are the best option under Windows 7.

Hope this helps.

David

To add on, use the 6.0 builds instead of the 6.2 ones, even if the 6.2 ones may have a higher build number, unless you really know what you're doing (i.e. opening up a can o' good ole' worms)

Back