Trouble erasing IE “History” & “Temporary Internet Files

dahen

I just started using Eraser yesterday, and encountered some interesting issues.

1. I Erased the History folder (c:\documents and settings\my_user\local settings\History) using Eraser.

After this I went into IE, and clicked on History, and only the day of the week headings are displayed, but none of the sites I’ve visited are listed. (This is good.)

However, when typing a web address into the address bar, the auto fill-in feature still completes addresses from my History that should have been deleted. (This is bad.)

Obviously, I could use Tools | Internet Options | Clear History and then this auto fill-in problem on the address bar would go away.

Question #1: But does that mean that History information is also stored elsewhere other than the History folder? How can I truly ERASE the history?

2. Here's the more confusing issue. I tried to erase Temporary Internet Files folder.

Again, I could have done so from within IE (Tools | Internet Options | Delete Files), but of course, I want to ERASE them.

So, I went to (c:\documents and settings\my_user\local settings\Temporary Internet Files) and started Eraser. Using Gutmann, it took almost 2 hours and I saw it moving thru each individual file.

At the end, the error report only indicated that ONE file hadn’t been deleted (index.dat). That’s fine.

Here’s the problem. I started up IE again, and then took a look into the Temporary Internet Files folder. All the files are still there! I could even open some of the files.

Question #2: What happened? Is there a duplicate of Temporary Internet Files stored somewhere on the HD which then is restored behind the scenes automatically? How do i ERASE Temporary Internet Files?

Perhaps I should be using NoTrax in the future? :)

My system specs:
Windows XP Professional, Internet Explorer 6.0

Re: Trouble erasing IE “History” & “Temporary Internet F

dahen said:
does that mean that History information is also stored elsewhere other than the History folder?
Not necessarily, most likely this information is stored in an "index.dat" file, which cannot be erased, as the operating system keeps it locked. The autocomplete strings could also stored in registry.

All the files are still there!
I don't think so, IE stores an index of the files (i.e. names and URL's) in the "index.dat" file. When you open the Temporary Internet Files folder, you are not seeing the real contents, but a list of files indexed in the "index.dat" file, shown to you by a Windows shell extension.

I could even open some of the files.
If the file doesn't exist, like it won't after you erased it, IE probably fetches a new copy from the network.

Perhaps I should be using NoTrax in the future?
Perhaps, or you could try Mozilla Firebird...

Erasing IE tracks

I agree,it`s much easier to use Mozilla,as there are only 3/4 tracks that might compromise your privacy,or if you prefer,Opera-but in this case 7!
No files are "locked" in these browsers-and most would agree they are a much more secure option than IE anyway.

Re: Trouble erasing IE “History” & “Temporary Internet F

Anonymous said:
dahen said:
does that mean that History information is also stored elsewhere other than the History folder?
Not necessarily, most likely this information is stored in an "index.dat" file, which cannot be erased, as the operating system keeps it locked. The autocomplete strings could also stored in registry.

Any idea where in the Registry it would be stored?

I could even open some of the files.
If the file doesn't exist, like it won't after you erased it, IE probably fetches a new copy from the network.

Good call. I tested this and you are correct.

Back