Unable to delete folders...?

Qev

Hi all. :)

Just started using Eraser, and I've run into an odd problem. It seems that it won't erase folders on my system, no matter what I do. It'll successfully wipe out the contents of the folder, but then reports that it has completed with errors, leaving the empty folder behind. The error appears in the log for the task as follows:
Session: Saturday July 31, 2010 8:10:17 PM
Saturday July 31, 2010 8:10:18 PM Error The system cannot find the file specified. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070002)
It doesn't seem to matter how I ask it to go about things, either using the shell extension, or setting up the task directly in the program (including checking the "delete folder if empty" option), both have the same result. It's version 6.0.6 of Eraser, and I'm running Windows XP SP3 on my machine here.

I hope this isn't something I missed in the FAQ... :oops: :lol:

Cheers!

No, it's not something you've missed in the FAQ, but it is an issue that crops up occasionally.

Firstly, check Help|About for the version you are running. I'd guess that you are actually running version 6.0.7.1893 (on this version, the graphic on the Eraser Schedule pane is incorrect). If it really is 6.0.6, however, you should upgrade.

As regards your problem, can you delete the folder in question to the Recycle Bin and then erase that?

David

Oh, you're absolutely right, it's 6.0.7.1893. :)

It seems to do fine if I drag the folders into the Recycle Bin and then erase that; completes without any errors. That's good enough for me! It's entirely likely to be something messed up in my Windows install... it's older than six months, and you know how Windows installs get... :lol:

Thanks!

I'm not sure that this is a Windows install issue; it may be a bug that Joel has fixed in the development version. I haven't seen, or seen reports of, the problem with the latest code. But we'll have to wait until 6.2 goes live (don't hold your breath) before we know for sure.

David

I did fix a similar bug before. You can try the latest 6.0 branch builds to test this. 6.0 branch builds are more "stable" than the trunk builds, but still, use at your own risk.

Back