V5.8.7 install problems

ABBA-is

I just installed the new V5.8.7 on Windows Vista HE and have problems to report.
1). 9.5 MB file size is way too large. I'm on dial-up and this was very painful to get.
Please-you do not have to re-install my windows OS for me. I suggest you remove all
Window components from the install .exe to get file size down. If something is missing, Windows will
tell me. Then I can get it from you as separate download.
2). The install said I need to un-install previous versions but there was no un-install for previous versions, was there?
I installed V5.8.7, then uninstalled it, then installed again just to make sure.
3) I received the following warning msg from my Vista Firewall during install:
10/1/2009 11:36:33 AM IPv4 TCP 127.0.0.1:5400(56681) C:\windows\system32\msiexec.exe
I did not allow the Firewall to let it process.
I am usimg Opera as my Browser. Why is microsoft trying to dial home on me?
4). When I restart windows Vista, Eraser does not start because it is blocked by Windowa Defender.
Error from Defender shows it needs elevation. I am administrator so I elevate it to start it.
It appears that Eraseer will never be acceptable to Defender in the future which will require me
to ALWAYS have to start it manually, which I will forget to do most of the time. Fix this.
5). My reason for wanting the new version was so maybe Eraser will not disappear when I close the settings window.
Nope, Eraser goes away when I close the settings window.
I noticed yesterday that I installed Eraser in January, set it up to erase empty disk once a week rhen forgot about it.
I see that it ran once in January then never again. I presume because when you close the settings window you close the
main App!. Please-do not close the app like this. Leave it up. I can't remeber everything, that's what you should do.
6). I see in the Eraser directory that the executables have the correct date but that the
Help file is still from 2007. You should update the Help with each new version. shouldn't you?
It made me think I had invalid install when I see the Help not changed.
7). I am still not able to delete and re-create a new log file unless I re-install Eraser each time.

And also:
8). Scheduler will not allow me to change the time to run. It is stuck at 12:00. The text box control is enabled as I can highlight the data and change it but the change does not take, it goes back to 12:00. This worked ok on the previous version.

ABBA-is said:
1). 9.5 MB file size is way too large. I'm on dial-up and this was very painful to get.
Please-you do not have to re-install my windows OS for me. I suggest you remove all
Window components from the install .exe to get file size down. If something is missing, Windows will
tell me. Then I can get it from you as separate download.
Yes, Windows will tell you. In a very cryptic error message. And people will keep asking in the forum. Support costs money!
ABBA-is said:
2). The install said I need to un-install previous versions but there was no un-install for previous versions, was there?
I installed V5.8.7, then uninstalled it, then installed again just to make sure.
That should be fine. If you didn't install an older version, you don't need to do anything.
ABBA-is said:
3) I received the following warning msg from my Vista Firewall during install:
10/1/2009 11:36:33 AM IPv4 TCP 127.0.0.1:5400(56681) C:\windows\system32\msiexec.exe
I did not allow the Firewall to let it process.
I am usimg Opera as my Browser. Why is microsoft trying to dial home on me?
It's the Windows installer, I would have no idea.
ABBA-is said:
4). When I restart windows Vista, Eraser does not start because it is blocked by Windowa Defender.
Error from Defender shows it needs elevation. I am administrator so I elevate it to start it.
It appears that Eraseer will never be acceptable to Defender in the future which will require me
to ALWAYS have to start it manually, which I will forget to do most of the time. Fix this.
That seems to be because you blocked Eraser from inserting its own startup entry into the system start up.
ABBA-is said:
5). My reason for wanting the new version was so maybe Eraser will not disappear when I close the settings window.
Nope, Eraser goes away when I close the settings window.
I noticed yesterday that I installed Eraser in January, set it up to erase empty disk once a week rhen forgot about it.
I see that it ran once in January then never again. I presume because when you close the settings window you close the
main App!. Please-do not close the app like this. Leave it up. I can't remeber everything, that's what you should do.
Ticketed but not fixed yet.
ABBA-is said:
6). I see in the Eraser directory that the executables have the correct date but that the
Help file is still from 2007. You should update the Help with each new version. shouldn't you?
It made me think I had invalid install when I see the Help not changed.
Sure, but that needs someone to actually write the documentation. My hands are currently full.
ABBA-is said:
7). I am still not able to delete and re-create a new log file unless I re-install Eraser each time.
THe log file should be in your %APPDATA%\Eraser folder as schedlog.txt.

Joel

Back