3 small problems with v6.0.8

nzo

Thank you for v6.0.8!

Running XP SP3.

- I notice in the Settings dialog the field "Replace erased files with the following files..." remains empty when checkbox ticked.

- While erasing is in progress, the XP Quick-Launch taskbar (set to auto-hide) appears and remains visible, then hides again.

- I have deactivated Eraser to auto-start with Windows. I want to start Eraser manually, but it keeps defaulting to auto-start mode. It also remains in the system tray after an erase process is completed.

Thanks very much.

Bug No.4: Because the quicklaunch task bar is open and frozen, I cannot see the recycle bin activity. Several times I have gone to exit Eraser via the system tray before it has finished erasing and this has caused Eraser to crash and freeze without recovering. I think there are some bugs that need to be sorted. I'm going back to 5.8.8 in the meantime.

None of the items you have mentioned are bugs. The last 3 are a function of the fact that, unlike Eraser 5, Eraser 6 runs in the background. The FAQ post on Eraser architecture has more details.

nzo said:
I notice in the Settings dialog the field "Replace erased files with the following files..." remains empty when checkbox ticked.
That is presumably because you haven't added any files, which you must do if you want to use this option (I'm happy to stick with the standard pseudorandom data). You'll notice that, when you tick the box, the 'Add Files' and 'Add folder' buttons become active.

nzo said:
While erasing is in progress, the XP Quick-Launch taskbar (set to auto-hide) appears and remains visible, then hides again.
That is a consequence of the background running, and information coming from the system tray rather than (as in Eraser 5) from a modal dialog.

nzo said:
I have deactivated Eraser to auto-start with Windows. I want to start Eraser manually, but it keeps defaulting to auto-start mode. It also remains in the system tray after an erase process is completed.
This is by design, which some people do not like. The option to have Eraser 6 not start with Windows is an accepted change, which will be implemented (probably) in Eraser 6.2.

nzo said:
Because the quicklaunch task bar is open and frozen, I cannot see the recycle bin activity. Several times I have gone to exit Eraser via the system tray before it has finished erasing and this has caused Eraser to crash and freeze without recovering.
It would be more correct to say that you have stopped Eraser, as if you had switched off the ignition while the car is running. I can't get to XP just now, but isn't there a close button on the Eraser progress 'bubble', as there most certainly is in Vista and Windows 7? Closing the bubble should make the taskbar auto-hide.

nzo said:
I think there are some bugs that need to be sorted.
Like it or not, these are features, not bugs. The Eraser 6 UI is actually not meant to work like the one in Eraser 5. And the (tiny) Eraser team is too far down the road to go back now.

nzo said:
I'm going back to 5.8.8 in the meantime.
Fine in XP. But do remember that 5.8.8 is no longer supported.

David

Hi David,

I appreciate your taking time to respond and clarify each of my "bugs".

Many thanks!

Back