6.0.x - NO drag & drop files / folders?

phkhgh

Did I miss a really OBVIOUS part of the help file, or do Eraser vers 6x no longer have drag & drop of folder / files from windows explorer?
Least doesn't exist in Vista x64 SP2.

Hope I'm wrong, because building new tasks w/ more than couple items is.... slooow. What was wrong w/ drag & drop?

Also, the New Task or Edit Task screen is really tiny and doesn't appear any way to enlarge / drag borders. No maximize screen buttons (in my install).

Makes it near impossible to actually see what all's in the task to erase - not a safe way to go unless have them memorized. Or maybe just want to make sure everything you want on it is on it.

Maybe I've got problems w/ the installation? If not, seems like lost features instead of gained.

Which build are you using? I have the current stable (6.0.7.1893) on an XP machine, and 6.1 builds running under Vista x64 SP2 and Windows 7 x64. Drag and drop works on all these machines, though (for some reason) without the confirmation dialogue under Vista and Windows 7, which is a tad hairy for my liking.

The 6.1 builds now show just the file/folder name (rather than an inevitably truncated full path) in the task editing window. This makes it much easier to work out what the task does.

That said, it is true that Eraser 6 is not (yet) as feature rich as the final releases of Version 5. An inevitable concomitant of the necessary re-write of the code, it seems. When 6.2 is released, that should be a significant step in the right direction.

David

You ran the application as an administrator. UAC prevents files to be dragged and dropped between processes of a lower privilege level (Explorer) and one of a higher privilege level (Eraser). Run Eraser as a normal user and you can drag and drop.

Thanks.
Which build are you using?
The 6.1 builds now show just the file/folder name
Not in my Vista x64 install. Even if add single file, in Eraser task list (edit task), whether added folder or single file, it shows ENTIRE path - which is truncated (can't see single file name) in the tiny UI screen.

Why IS the task screen so small & no buttons to maximize?

Joel wrote:
You ran the application as an administrator.
Do you mean INSTALLED as administrator, or that I'm actually logged into Vista & using an Admin acct while using Eraser?
I installed it under Admin acct (have to) but I'm logged in a std user acct when using it, & drag/drop doesn't work. So, not clear on issue. Maybe bug or bad install? No errors / delays during installation.

Any suggestions?

Other prgms that use drag / drop seem to work OK, & I installed & use in same manner as Eraser 6.

Side issue: I don't get automatic email notices of replies to posts. My forum prefs are set to receive them & email is correct. Not a spam blocking issue - I get all spam mail deliv to Thunderbird - spam is marked "Bulk."

Thanks

phkhgh said:
Do you mean INSTALLED as administrator, or that I'm actually logged into Vista & using an Admin acct while using Eraser?
I installed it under Admin acct (have to) but I'm logged in a std user acct when using it, & drag/drop doesn't work. So, not clear on issue. Maybe bug or bad install? No errors / delays during installation.
You used Run as Administrator to start Eraser. Or the compatibility setting to always force Eraser to run as an administrator.

No, I'm starting Eraser in "normal" mode in a std user acct. I don't tell it to run in admin mode. It may BE running in admin mode, but not because of anything I'm doing (AFAIK) other than when installed (uninstalled v5.x first), launched the install file w/ "Run As Administrator."

2nd. Checking the shortcut Properties, under "Compatibility", "Run this prgm as an Administrator" is NOT checked.
Neither is it checked when look at properties when from the Compatibility tab, select "show settings for All Users."

Not sure if these are what you mean.

My experience with Vista x64 is that the OS forces Eraser to run elevated. That is, the 'Privilege Level' box (Run as Administrator) is inaccessible (greyed out) but is clearly ticked for my User Account; it is inaccessible but blank in the 'show settings for all users' box. The box is blank with Windows 7 x64. In both cases, these are default settings; I have not set them manually, unless they are left over in some way from a previous install.

Whatever the significance of these settings may be, drag and drop works for me, as previously stated.

Your screen/window problems seem to be system-specific. The window is a senble size on my Vista x64 system (and also on the others); it has normal control buttons, which work. The change in file information in the Task editing window has, I believe, been made in the 6.1 (development) builds; you are using 6.0.

I'll let Joel respond on the forum issue.

David

Thanks!
Q-1: Did you install it in admin mode? I installed from std acct, but entered admin PW when prompted.
Q-2: Which Vista x64 service pack do u have? I have SP2.

DavidHB said:
My experience with Vista x64 is that the OS forces Eraser to run elevated. That is, the 'Privilege Level' box (Run as Administrator) is inaccessible (greyed out) but is clearly ticked for my User Account;...
I assume you mean when look at (one way) Programs>Eraser, then R click shortcut > Properties > :

Under Properties screen under my standard (not admin) acct:
1) Shortcut tab >Advanced button: "run as admin" box is NOT checked. It IS accessible.

2) Compatibility tab: "Privilege level" box] - UNchecked & grayed out.

3) Compatibility tab > "show settings for all users" button: "run as admin" - UNchecked - is accessible.
Besides above, are there other places where you are seeing the check marks (or lack of)?

One possible issue: under Eraser shortcut >Properties>Security , my std user acct name is not listed (most shortcuts do NOT show my user name under security either).
The "Everyone" & "Users" (? as in All Users ?) accts have ONLY : "read & exec" & "Read" permissions checked. Admin accts have full rights.

Quick look at CCleaner shows my specific std user name acct listed under Security, and it has full rights (I made no changes for CCleaner, AFAIK).

You wrote, " window is a senble size...". Is senble a typo? Sensible?
"it has normal control buttons, which work." Then there must be something wrong w/ my installation. Will re d/l & reinstall file again (though used the MD5 hash w/ d/l), & make SURE everything else is shutdown (always do).

"change in file information in the Task editing window has... been made in the 6.1..."
"Change" meaning showing only folder / file names shown in task list vs full path? Or...

I did a normal install, and was not prompted. I am using Vista x64 SP2, but UAC is turned off, which may be a factor.

I accessed properties in the same way as you, and am looking at the same items as those you listed.

My user name is listed under the shortcut security tab.

Sorry about the typo; should have been 'sensible'. Display issues can sometimes be graphics driver issues or (less commonly in my experience) Windows settings. Can't be more helpful on this, as I haven't seen your problem with Eraser (and I've installed and uninstalled it a fair few times).

The change made (I believe) in the development version is to show the file/folder name only (not the full path); this gives a much better idea of what is in the task than a truncated path. Then again, one can always have the right file name, but the wrong path. It is difficult to make things foolproof, because fools are so clever.

David

My 6.0.7.1893 install doesn't check "run as admin". I tried changing it through an admin acct, & it let me put a check in privilege level, then save. But when restarted Eraser, check wasn't there. Either way, drag n drop still didn't work. I could play w/ it, but...

Were you talking about the Edit Task screen being a "sensible" size? Or the main UI? I meant the edit task screen where you're actually looking at (truncated) folder or file names. That screen isn't good for me cause I add / delete certain files or folders fairly often. Besides, I like to SEE what I'm erasing, or if I've already added what I wanted to add.

I know they may have brought out v6.x because had serious problems in 5.x, but the interface & settings options went back a few generations, imo. For me, no where near as usable as 5.x versions. It's "forward to the past" for me (5.x).

There's also no way I see to set a custom erasing algorithm & only selection for pseudorandom is 1 pass - no 3 pass, or option to select #.

phkhgh said:
My 6.0.7.1893 install doesn't check "run as admin". I tried changing it through an admin acct, & it let me put a check in privilege level, then save. But when restarted Eraser, check wasn't there. Either way, drag n drop still didn't work. I could play w/ it, but...
All I can say is that it works on my machines. I am inclined to agree with Joel that it's a permissions/user issue, but I cannot put my finger on the precise mechanism. You might try disabling UAC, to see if that makes a difference (as I have it disabled on Vista, where it is nothing but a pain).

phkhgh said:
Were you talking about the Edit Task screen being a "sensible" size? Or the main UI? I meant the edit task screen where you're actually looking at (truncated) folder or file names. That screen isn't good for me cause I add / delete certain files or folders fairly often. Besides, I like to SEE what I'm erasing, or if I've already added what I wanted to add.
Sorry, my mistake. The Edit Task screen does have (IMO rather useless) trucated paths. As I said in my last post, this is changed in the development version. Best of all, I think, would be just the file name in the table and a tooltip for each entry showing the full path.

phkhgh said:
I know they may have brought out v6.x because had serious problems in 5.x, but the interface & settings options went back a few generations, imo. For me, no where near as usable as 5.x versions. It's "forward to the past" for me (5.x).
Version 5 is now, officially, dead. That may be a matter of regret, but that's the way it is. Personally, I think that the UI of Version 6 is far more logical than that of Version 5; it's certainly easier to set up complex erasing tasks.

phkhgh said:
There's also no way I see to set a custom erasing algorithm & only selection for pseudorandom is 1 pass - no 3 pass, or option to select #.
Have you read the section in the manual on custom erasing methods? AFAIK, these things are fully possible, but I don't have any particular need for them myself. Of the standard methods, HMG IS5 Enhanced (which I use), is a 3 pass method - 0s, 1s, then pseudorandom data.

David

Did not work for me. Whether I check it as an admin or not I cannot use Eraser's drag and drop function. It's useless for me. Please work on it!

upgrade your eraser version to the latest one,maybe the previous version doesn't support drag and drop functionality.

Back