Ask User To Resolve Locked Files Glitch

Lifeblood

I have Windows XP, and here is a glitch in Eraser version 5.86.1, that I've noticed.

Under General Preferences\Locked Files

When I check both, "Enable resolving of file locking (try clearing after restart), and "Ask User", Eraser deletes the temp folders that I've instructed it to, except for the index.dat files, which it asks me if I want to try clearing after restart. I answer yes, and it performs fine and deletes the index.dat file upon restart.

If I uncheck the "Ask User" option, so that I don't get asked about the index.dat files, it appears to do it's job and delete the folders and files, then I reboot.

After reboot, I check my Temporary Internet Files Folder, and all of the files are STILL THERE, AND, here's the real bad part, I cannot click on anything in my Start\Programs menu or anything in my Quick-Launch Bar. It's like all of the shortcuts have lost thier paths to thier targets. I click on them and nothing happens.

The only fix I found was to do a System Restore.

As soon as I check the "Ask User" option again, it works fine, REALLY WIERD.

I hate having to sit there and answer yes to every question of, "Do you want to Erase the file after you restart your computer?", but what else can I do?

I tried this several times, and it is definitely when that option is checked, otherwise it works fine.

Anybody else experience this?

Interesting: because I just looked at the code and if Ask User is unchecked, Eraser does the silly thing if NOT queueing the files for erasure on restart (instead of your expected yes). No erase on restart occurs - does it?

Joel

I set up Eraser to erase many folders, but the following folders were the ones I was most concerned about

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\Recent\
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\History\
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temp\
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Recent\

I actually tweaked the registry to keep the Recent Folder empty, so Eraser is just overkill, but I figured it couldn't hurt.

Out of the folders above, when I experienced the glitch, I believe they all emptied except the Temporary Internet Files Folder, and maybe the Cookies Folder.

This actually happened to me a while ago, and I can't remember how all the folders reacted, but I know for sure the Temporary Internet Files Folder did not erase upon re-boot, even though it was checked to do so. I just happened to be visiting your website, and started picking though the forum, and decided to mention what I had experienced.

I'm not too sure about the rest, but I think the Temporary Internet Files folder is re-created every time the computer restarts. Were the files still inside the folder after the restart?

Joel

Yes, the files were still there after the restart.

With the Ask User option checked, I have no problems. It restarts with all files erased including the index.dat files, just like it should.

With the Ask User option unchecked, after the restart the files remain totally unaffected, and the problem where I can't access any shortcuts within the Start\Programs menu occurs. And, I also can't access shortcuts in the QuickLaunch bar.

It's a really strange problem. It's like the Ask User option is telling it to erase some other location and it does damage to the part of the registry that keeps track of the shortcut paths. I don't know, just seems that way.

The only fix was to go back to an earlier System Restore Point, before the damage occured.

Please bump this in a week if I haven't gotten back to you, it may slide and I may lose track of things.

Thanks,
Joel

Lifeblood said:
Hi Joel,

You asked me to bump this thread to remind you to get back to this, so that's what I'm doing.

Hi Lifeblood :)

You might do better creating a ticket on the Eraser Trac.

Check my signature for the bug report link.

Hi Overwriter,

I wish I would have known about that Eraser Trac page before I started explaining this problem. I really don't want to have to re-explain it on that page if I don't have to.

I wasn't clear from the messages above from Joel whether or not he found a problem in the code. It sounded to me like he did, but it wasn't clear to me what it was.

Could you possibly find out if there was a problem, explain what it was, and how to fix it?

Thanks

Before we continue with another investigation, could you please have a go at beta4 for Eraser 5.8.7, and see if that fixes the problem?

Joel

Back