Blocked by Windows Defender

memoryhole

MS Windows Defender, is blocking Eraser version 6 at start up, details below.
A similar problem existed with malwarebytes, but they created a .zip file containing an automated RegEdit to resolve the problem.

-------------------------------------------
File Name: Eraser.exe
Display Name: Eraser
Description: Eraser
Publisher: The Eraser Project
Digitally Signed By: Certum Level III CA
File Type: Application
Startup Value: C:\Program Files\Eraser\Eraser.exe -hide
File Path: C:\Program Files\Eraser\Eraser.exe
File Size: 976784
File Version: 6.0.6.1376
Date Installed: 15/12/2009 08:46:48
Startup Type: Registry: Current User
Classification: Not yet classified
Ships with Operating System: No

This looks like you got a corrupted install. The -hide command is used or v5 not 6. You should uninstall and reinstall Eraser.

In any case, it's safe to allow this edit to occur as Eraser needs to start with your system to run scheduled tasks.

Joel

Thanks, I uninstalled, downloaded Eraser and reinstalled. The problem still persists and when malwarebytes software was blocked it was resolved when they issued a Registry fix. The Windows Defender is blocking Eraser at StartUp.

Windows defender shows the following info:

Maybe the section marked "Classification: Not yet classified" is the relevant part explaining why it is being blocked.

File Name: Eraser.exe
Display Name: Eraser
Description: Eraser
Publisher: The Eraser Project
Digitally Signed By: Certum Level III CA
File Type: Application
Startup Value: "C:\PROGRA~1\Eraser\Eraser.exe" --atRestart
File Path: C:\PROGRA~1\Eraser\Eraser.exe
File Size: 976784
File Version: 6.0.6.1376
Date Installed: 15/12/2009 08:46:48
Startup Type: Registry: Local Machine
Classification: Not yet classified
Ships with Operating System: No

Yes, Not Yet Classified indicates that Eraser hasn't been labelled as malware or not by Microsoft. But since it's scanned by me before I upload it and I compile the code myself, the software should be clean.

I have disabled Windows Defender, but now Eraser is being blocked at startup by Vista's UAC (User Account Control) function. I would be loathed to disable UAC just to get Eraser to work from startup. I have been using Eraser for a few years now and never had this problem till upgrading to v6.

I use Vista Home Premium, Service pack 2.

Below is the 'advice' that windows gives on UAC blocking:

"Run or remove blocked startup programs

User Account Control prevents programs that require permission or an administrator password from running automatically when Windows starts. If a program is blocked, you'll see a message in the notification area that says some startup programs need permission to run. You can run a blocked program, remove blocked programs from startup, or ignore the notification.

To run a blocked program
Right-click the Blocked startup programs icon in the notification area.

Click Run blocked program, and then click the name of the program you want to run. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Note
You'll need to repeat these steps each time you want to run the program after starting Windows.

To remove a blocked program from startup
You can remove a blocked program from startup so that it won't try to run automatically each time you start Windows. Removing the program from startup won't remove the program from your computer.

Right-click the Blocked startup programs icon in the notification area.

Click Show or remove blocked startup programs.

Notes
If a program that you want to run at startup is being blocked, check the publisher's website to see if there is an updated version of the program available that doesn't require permission or an administrator password to run.

Removing a program from startup might affect other users of this computer."

Eraser doesn't require administrator permissions to run. Not by default. Perhaps you have set the Eraser program to start with administrator permissions (go to the shortcut to Eraser, right click, Properties, Compatibility, uncheck Run this Program as an Administrator)

Back