BUG Sometimes files are ignored by eraser & it clones dr

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I've noticed a bug in eraser 5.7.

Some files when "erased" from the explorer's context menu will get totally ignored by eraser. I don't know why, or what kind of file names (maybe) trigger this, but when I select this ignored file with other files then all of them including the ignored one get erased.

Also switching the erasing method (from the "Options..." button when "Confirm erasing..." is activated) helps, and a formerly ignored file will get erased.

Then there's an additional curiosity connected with these ignored erase runs. When each time I attempt to erase one of the files and nothing happens, there are drives added to my directory view in the explorer! Yes it's true! I have 3 HD drives C,D,E and 2 CD/CD-RW drives F,G, after an unsuccessful erasing attempt on for example a file on drive D: all the following drives get added to the directory view on the left side.

So if there was inside "My Computer" "3½ Floppy (A:), Local Disk (C:), Local Disk (D:), Local Disk (E:), DVD Drive (F:), CD Drive (G:)" then there is after one of those ignored erasings "3½ Floppy (A:), Local Disk (C:), Local Disk (D:), Local Disk (E:), DVD Drive (F:), CD Drive (G:) Local Disk (E:), DVD Drive (F:), CD Drive (G:)"!

Another try would add drives E:-G: again, flooding my whole "My Computer" virtual folder with cloned drives!!!

Why is that? It can only be a serious flaw.

Hello? Anyone read the bug reports anyway?

What about a new version btw? 5.7 is one year old and the bugs won't go away by themselves.

It was my understanding that the context menu is kind of buggy. I would suggest disabling it. That's what advice I've gotten on these forums when I was having some problems.

The bug report sounds absolutely strange and I find it unbelievable that something like this could happen in the first place. Eraser does nothing that could add cloned drives to Explorer.
Peteroo said:
It can only be a serious flaw.
If you find a serious flaw in Eraser source code, go ahead and let us know. Otherwise, I think it's safe to assume this flaw exists in Explorer.
Peteroo said:
What about a new version btw? 5.7 is one year old and the bugs won't go away by themselves.
As far as I know, nobody gets paid to work on the progam, so if I were you, I wouldn't hold my breath. However, the fact that Eraser is free software means, among other things, that anyone is free to fix these bugs whenever they feel like it. It's just that whenever volunteers are needed, people vanish, only to come back later to complain again.
newhart said:
It was my understanding that the context menu is kind of buggy.
If you are referring to the freezing problems, that seems to be a yet another bug in Windows, either in the Explorer (regarding multiple threads) or in the registry interface for querying performance data (used by the entropy gathering code) or both. Either way, those problems should go away by disabling slow entropy gathering.

Back