Can Eraser Erase A Blank Formated Hard Disk?

A

Anonymous

Hi,
I just formated a hard disk that previously had data before I downloaded Eraser. I know that I probably should tell Eraser to erase "unused space" on this blank formated hard disk. But what happens if I tell Eraser to erase file in that blank formated hard disk (d:\ for example) when there is no files? It is interesting because I did exactly that and it somehow still take about 3 hours to erase 60gb hard disk. Why? Does it mean that it still erase the unused space when it can't find any files?

Have a nice day.

what happens if I tell Eraser to erase file in that blank formated hard disk
There are no files in a blank formated hard disk, so unless you create one, it is going to be fairly difficult to erase one.

I did exactly that and it somehow still take about 3 hours to erase 60gb hard disk. Why?
Sounds like told the program to erase the unused disk space, and it did.

Does it mean that it still erase the unused space when it can't find any files?
There is always unused space on the disk whether there are files or not. Actually, there is unused space especially when there are no files (the disk is empty, is has a lot of space, which is unused... see? :) ).

Anyway, this is all explained in the Eraser help file, I suggest you take a look.

Anonymous said:
what happens if I tell Eraser to erase file in that blank formated hard disk
There are no files in a blank formated hard disk, so unless you create one, it is going to be fairly difficult to erase one.

I did exactly that and it somehow still take about 3 hours to erase 60gb hard disk. Why?
Sounds like told the program to erase the unused disk space, and it did.

Does it mean that it still erase the unused space when it can't find any files?
There is always unused space on the disk whether there are files or not. Actually, there is unused space especially when there are no files (the disk is empty, is has a lot of space, which is unused... see? :) ).

Anyway, this is all explained in the Eraser help file, I suggest you take a look.

No. I already said that I NEVER told Eraser to erase "unused space". I told Eraser to erase "files" by putting "d:" under files in setting.

No. I already said that I NEVER told Eraser to erase "unused space". I told Eraser to erase "files" by putting "d:\" under files in setting.
Sorry, that was just an assumption I had to make because of the lack of details in your post. When you say "files" and "setting", what exactly do you mean? Are you using the On-Demand part of the main Eraser program, perhaps? Did you create a new task, choose "File" in "Data" page of the "Task Properties" dialog, select "Use wildcards" and then enter "D:\"? If not, then what exactly did you do? Step by step, please.

Back