Cannot unistall Eraser 5.84

czechmate

Hi, when I run Eraser uninstall (either in "Add/Remove Programs" or via Unistall shortcut in start menu) Eraser does not get uninstalled, instead Eraser gets installed again. Please help.
cj

Hi czechmate

That’s an unusual problem you have there !

Can I just ask what operating system you have and are you logged in as admin ?

Also do you have any other programs running that may cause this problem, such as sandbox type programs.

Hi Overwriter,

thanks for your response. I am running WindowsXP SP2 on compaq nx7000 (notebook). Not sure what sandbox type of program is, these are the major apps I've got installed:

AVG Internet Security
Office 2003, Word and Excell only
IE7
Outlook Express
Windows Media Player 11
Roxio easy CD creator
PaintShopPro 7
Adobe reader 8
Quote Tracker (stock charting app)
a few small apps like editors, catalogs, graphic viewer etc.

I disabled AVG and tried to uninstall, no joy.

One thing puzzles me, "uninstall" shortcut properties show this command string: "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\{74D61F17-FFC2-41AF-96E5-1DCB0631B6D1}\EraserSetup32.exe"

In other words the "unistall" link is running the install program. The question is: how does the install program know it is supposed to do uninstall? Is there not perhaps a command line argument missing, something like:
".....B6D1}\EraserSetup32.exe -unistall".
I've tried to run it with "-n" and "-uninstall" parameters but no joy.

Hi czechmate :)

Just to let you know I have read your post and that I am thinking about it. I have no explanation just yet but I will get back to you when I think of something.

It is an unusual problem though ! :?

:wink:

Hi czechmate :)

I just want to make sure that you are not performing a “repair” when you get to the uninstall window.

When you use the shortcut start/allprograms/Eraser/UninstallEraser are you presented with the uninstall / repair window ? If so are you certain that uninstall is selected ?

The problem you have relates to the windows installer.
If you download and install eraser again. Then reboot and goto add/remove programs and uninstall from there. what happens?

Garrett

Back