Can't add a task

longtex

I just downloaded and installed the latest and greatest version.

I saw it wanted dotnet 3.5 so installed that first.

Looks like everything's good, but it doesn't run.

What happens is this: I try to ADD a new task in the "Erase Schedule" win, which brings up a "Task Properties" win, where - as far as I can see - the main thing to do is add a task. The win I see is somewhat ugly, probably something to do with my screen resolution - for example, the button which the doc graphic shows as being labeled "Add Data" (I only see half of a button, labeled "Add") but which the text apparently refers to as "Add Task". I'm guessing this is what needs to be clicked, as there doesn't seem to be anything else. But when I click on it, I get an error message, rather than the documented "Select Data to Erase" window.

The message is "Unhandled exception ... Incorrect function (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070001)."

I tried restarting, in case something was pending.

What next?

Can you find any of the debug logs?

You didn't mention your OS, your architecture, nor your system setup.

Joel said:
Can you find any of the debug logs?

You didn't mention your OS, your architecture, nor your system setup.
Where are the debug logs?

XP Pro. What do you mean by "architecture" and "system setup"?

Most notably, in this case, would be what drives have you got attached to your computer. Architecture is answered by your OS response - XP only runs on x86 (XP Pro x64 is very, very rare)

Joel said:
Most notably, in this case, would be what drives have you got attached to your computer. Architecture is answered by your OS response - XP only runs on x86 (XP Pro x64 is very, very rare)

Actually, I have several 64s, mostly AMD, but only one XP Pro 64, others are all x86.

The particular computer I'm trying out Eraser on is an x86, with two 320GB SATA drives and occasionally (although not now) a 2TB eSATA portable. It's a bit of a test bed - for example, it was an IIS test server for a while, but not now (installed but "stopped").

I still don't see any debug files.

Optical drives? Any partitions which aren't MBR based? CD drives, tapes, magnetic-optical drives? What about the partitioning of the drives?

Actually, if 6.0 doesn't work, you can get a 6.1 build of the Eraser download page -- that definitely has a crash reporting component in there. Once you got the build, install it and then cause the crash. The debug log is in %APPDATA%\Eraser 6\Crash Logs. Post Debug.log here.

Thanks!

Joel said:
Optical drives? Any partitions which aren't MBR based? CD drives, tapes, magnetic-optical drives? What about the partitioning of the drives?
Straight partitioning, nothing odd or fancy. DVD drive. No tapes.

The only thing in the appdata is tasklist.ersx.

You first need to install a 6.1 nightly build from the download page, as I said earlier.

Joel said:
You first need to install a 6.1 nightly build from the download page, as I said earlier.

Does the 6.0.xxx need to be uninstalled first, or does the 6.1 install take care of that?

Joel said:
I was going to download it while waiting your answer, but the downloads page lists no nightly builds.

6.1's installer handles it: this is the download page I'm referring to.

Joel said:
6.1's installer handles it: this is the download page I'm referring to.
That's also the download page to which I was referring. It shows one stable build, no betas and no nightly builds. I'm looking at it right now on another tab.

Bleah, I have to debug the website again. Will do it tomorrow. Thanks.

OK, downloads page fixed.

Back