Can't erase unused diskspace and delete files

catmouse

Hey again. I'm using Windows XP SP3.

And eraser is still telling me every time i using right click > erase files, 7 times. That it has been completed with errors.
But i can only find the old error messages, not the new ones. And that it's can't find the map that is already erased. And not selected. If i run the task again, it just vanish and doesn't delete the files that still is there. Should it be like that?

Edit: It was some problem with the "replace erased files with the following" even when i unchecked it. But it works perfect now. I'ts only unused discspace that doesn't work at all.

And with the unused discpace, it doesn't do anything. Nothing is happening. No decreasing of the harddisk.

catmouse said:
And eraser is still telling me every time i using right click > erase files, 7 times. That it has been completed with errors.

But i can only find the old error messages, not the new ones.
You need to find the task that was created by the context menu erase. By default, it is named the 7 files which comprise the erase task.

catmouse said:
And that it's can't find the map that is already erased. And not selected. If i run the task again, it just vanish and doesn't delete the files that still is there. Should it be like that?
I don't understand you. Could you rephrase?

catmouse said:
Edit: It was some problem with the "replace erased files with the following" even when i unchecked it. But it works perfect now. I'ts only unused discspace that doesn't work at all.
Okay, when you use the replace erased files with the following option erasing doesn't work? Which version is this?

catmouse said:
And with the unused discpace, it doesn't do anything. Nothing is happening. No decreasing of the harddisk.
http://bbs.heidi.ie/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5309. You probably forgot to exit Eraser from the system notification area (aka tray) before running Eraser again.

catmouse said:
Okay, when you use the replace erased files with the following option erasing doesn't work? Which version is this?

when i select files and uncheck the "replace erased files with the following", it still using that function, even when it`s unchecked.
i´m using version 6.0.8.2273

catmouse said:
http://bbs.heidi.ie/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5309. You probably forgot to exit Eraser from the system notification area (aka tray) before running Eraser again.[/quote]

looks like it works now, but can`t see any increased discspace when running.
so, i don`t know if it works. and no errors either.

catmouse said:
looks like it works now, but can`t see any increased discspace when running ... so, i don`t know if it works. and no errors either.
I think you may be under a misapprehension. Erasing free space does not increase the amount of free space available. It simply over-writes any data from previously deleted files that may have been left there, in order to keep that data confidential. Obviously, if you erase a file or folder, that will increase the amount of free space, to the same extent as if you had deleted it.

The best way for an ordinary user to check an erase is to run a file recovery program on the drive to check that no confidential data is recoverable.

David

DavidHB said:
catmouse said:
looks like it works now, but can`t see any increased discspace when running ... so, i don`t know if it works. and no errors either.
I think you may be under a misapprehension. Erasing free space does not increase the amount of free space available. It simply over-writes any data from previously deleted files that may have been left there, in order to keep that data confidential. Obviously, if you erase a file or folder, that will increase the amount of free space, to the same extent as if you had deleted it.

The best way for an ordinary user to check an erase is to run a file recovery program on the drive to check that no confidential data is recoverable.

David

I mean, that it's not decreasing in free space available. But it looks like it did this night.
The only thing i get now is this error, and i don't know how i can fix it.

"19:03:08 Error Files in D:\System Volume Information did not have its cluster tips erased because of the following error: Access to the path 'D:\System Volume Information' is denied."

The 'error' is not a problem. Probably in future versions of Eraser it will not even be flagged up as an error. If that is the only message in the log, your erase completed correctly.

David

Back