Can't get DBAN to work, help please.

nmaynan

I don't have a floppy drive. Does anybody on modern made computers? I stuck a CD-R in my CD drive and ran DBAn.

it says this: the current image format is not supported by the disk drive. What does this mean? I did it on another computer's CD-rw drive. Same thing.

I don't know what version I have. it came with eraser 5.7.

I got a dell dimension desktop w/ xp pro.

I just want to wipe drive before I take to recycle. Why is DBAN so complicated?

guys, for the future, is there a way to have DBAN work from a usb flash drive or something? Computers for laypeople don't come with floppy drives anymore.

All I wanted to do is wipe the drive. DBAN won't work apparently if you don't have a floppy. This means it's useless to most people.

Forget recycling, I'm going to smash the thing to bits.

nmaynan said:
guys, for the future, is there a way to have DBAN work from a usb flash drive or something? Computers for laypeople don't come with floppy drives anymore.

All I wanted to do is wipe the drive. DBAN won't work apparently if you don't have a floppy. This means it's useless to most people.

Forget recycling, I'm going to smash the thing to bits.
I run DBAN from a CD-R.

Although DBAN is bundled with Eraser, it is also available as a stand-alone download. It can be downloaded and burned to a bootable CD-R.

See http://dban.sourceforge.net/

and the FAQ for copying / burning to CD rather than copying to a floppy.

I forgot to mention: the beta release of DBAN works perfectly well for me, as well as the last stable release of DBAN. Both are available from that particular page.

Basically you download the file to your desktop or whatever and then click on the file. With my computer it starts up my CD burning program. It is that easy to copy, and then easy to use.

Back