can't get drop down menus

jmg_152

I installed Eraser and when I started the program, I was presented with this error:

The following settings held invalid values:
Default file erasure method
Default unused space erasure method
Randomness data source
These settings have now been set to naive defaults
Please check that the new settings suit your required level of security.

After I hit the OK button, the program launches, but I am unable to set the three drop-down menus that are listed in the error. The drop-down menu does not list anything. I was told this is possibly caused by the fact that my computer has never been on the internet. Is there any way to make this program work without having to put the computer on the internet?

jmg_152 said:
I was told this is possibly caused by the fact that my computer has never been on the internet. Is there any way to make this program work without having to put the computer on the internet?
Essentially, no. What you need is those Windows updates which contain the latest Root Certificates. If the machine you are using is not connected to the Net and has not been getting updates, that is almost certainly the problem. Which begs the question as to how you were able to download Eraser in the first place ...

The root certificates issue is explained in the FAQ, so I'll not go into details here.

David

Back