context menu immediate & problems

huuzzuu

Hey,

Is there a way to add a context menu item for Eraser to run a task immediately?

About 50% of my tasks will end with errors. I have no idea why.
With version 5 I usually knew why Eraser couldn't erase files or delete folders (it's usually folders that Eraser leaves behind) but now I have no clue why every now and then my folders or files cannot be erased.
In the beginning I still checked with LockHunter to see what's locking the file/folder but there is never listed anything.

I'm using Win7x64, AntiVir, Everything (search engine).
Any help is appreciated :)

I'm not sure I understand your point about the context menu. A context menu item relates to the files or whatever you have right-clicked on, and it is that selection which defines the task, which is indeed executed immediately. If you are referring to a predefined task, right-clicking on the task in the schedule gives you the option to run it. If you are suggesting adding to the options accessible from the context menu, Joel has had precisely the opposite suggestion from a number of other users!

The problems you are having are almost certainly relate to permissions issues, which LockHunter is not designed to detect. Running Eraser as Administrator usually fixes the problems, which are created by the 'helpful' security features added to Vista and now Win7. Please see the FAQ post on Getting to Know Eraser 6, which explains both running as Administrator and accessing the Task Log so you can identify problems.

David

Thanks for your answer.

1. I would like to erase files immediately without queueing them since I have 4 harddrives and usually the files are on seperate harddrives and thus queueing takes much more time.

2. Yep, you're right. I looked at the security properties and I often don't have all rights - although I'm administrator and I can do everything with the files using Explorer - really weird behaviour.

huuzzuu said:
I would like to erase files immediately without queueing them since I have 4 hard drives and usually the files are on separate hard drives and thus queueing takes much more time.
Ah. Eraser 6 is designed to run tasks sequentially, because, for most users, that is the quickest way of completing the set of tasks. Eraser 5 used parallel processing, and was slower, because with a limited number of drives, parallel processing increased the number of disk accesses, and hard drive capability is the main performance limiting factor.

Your case turns this logic on its head, and I agree that parallel processing would work better for you. Unfortunately Eraser 6 does not have this option, and I cannot see it being implemented any time soon.

huuzzuu said:
Yep, you're right. I looked at the security properties and I often don't have all rights - although I'm administrator and I can do everything with the files using Explorer - really weird behaviour.
The nicest thing I can say about the implementation of permissions in Windows is that it is a shambolic mess. Microsoft's attempt to make it do everything or nothing, as the user might require, serves only to increase complexity and create unexpected behaviour. This is actually compounded by the decision, in Vista and now in Win7, that users with administrative privileges would not run as administrators, as they did in XP, but would have to explicitly elevate every program they wanted to run in administrative mode. So when you are thinking that you are running administratively, you probably aren't ...

David

That's a pity that parallel processing has been removed but I see the point. Most users will save time by this.
Yet a little option for those in need of this feature would be nice (it's the age of parallelization ;-)).
Luckily it's not too much of a drawback for me since my computer is running most of the time.

Thanks for your help :)

huuzzuu said:
it's the age of parallelization ;-)
Except that our hard drives are all now Serial ATA, and we connect most Peripherals with the Universal Serial Bus ... :)

David

Lol, it seems that electric engineers have found serial to be simpler to implement and more reliable/quicker to issue commands to...

Anyway, I agree with your suggestions totally -- and as mentioned in an earlier post, it was an originally intended feature. The sequential execution was meant to be a mid-way between the relative chaos of Eraser 5 and the full scheduling/parallelism intended for Eraser 6.

Back