Creating a Task

rbmunkin

Hi,

I just downloaded your 6.0.6 software and there is one thing that is not very user friendly. I expected to easily find a way to start the process, like "new task". But there is nothing evident to this effect. So I looked at the manual. It says:
"Tasks can be defined by selecting the Erase Schedule drop-down menu, then selecting New Task (or press Ctrl+N)."

Well, when I go to "Erase Schedule" there is no menu at all for adding a new task. Luckily the manual mentioned "Ctrl+N". That works. But there is no menu item for adding tasks.

What's up with that? The manual says there should be, but there is not. ???

Thanks,
RB

PS - is there any way to know that the process actually worked without actually having some kind of file restoration software to try out on it?

You can right-click on the blank space of the scheduler view (just like in Explorer) to create a new task. The Eraser Schedule drop-down menu is the arrow beside the text.

Joel said:
You can right-click on the blank space of the scheduler view (just like in Explorer) to create a new task. The Eraser Schedule drop-down menu is the arrow beside the text.

Thanks Joel. I don't know how I missed that arrow!

Based on my knowledge I do agree that it is quite easy to miss that arrow; having said that, I don't know how to make the Schedule button work like the arrow and allowing the user to go to the Schedule page...

Joel said:
Based on my knowledge I do agree that it is quite easy to miss that arrow; having said that, I don't know how to make the Schedule button work like the arrow and allowing the user to go to the Schedule page...

I'm no programmer, but what about a simple menu just like you see in almost all programs - file, edit, etc.
If there were a "task" menu and under that would be the different task choices.

Yeah, but that really spoils the design which our resident designer has come up with. It looks nice and sleek (in my opinion) and Microsoft is doing away with menus anyway (see IE and Explorer in Vista/7)

Joel said:
Yeah, but that really spoils the design which our resident designer has come up with. It looks nice and sleek (in my opinion) and Microsoft is doing away with menus anyway (see IE and Explorer in Vista/7)

I have not seen 7 yet, but IE in Vista still has menus. But I don't have IE 8, just 7. Are they gone in 8? What takes their place? Interesting.

Anyway, do you get a lot of the question I asked? If not, maybe it's just me and it's fine as is! :lol:

By the way, how can I tell that the "erase" worked? I did it on an external drive. It seemed to work. It took hours. But then I saw there was still a recycle bin with one folder in it after it was all over.

Also, I read that the drive has to be formatted after being erased like this. Is that true?

Thanks,
RB

rbmunkin said:
I have not seen 7 yet, but IE in Vista still has menus. But I don't have IE 8, just 7. Are they gone in 8? What takes their place? Interesting.
Some kind of toolbar, I don't know myself, Computer/User interaction isn't my specialty...

rbmunkin said:
Anyway, do you get a lot of the question I asked? If not, maybe it's just me and it's fine as is! :lol:
It's okay to ask questions.

rbmunkin said:
By the way, how can I tell that the "erase" worked? I did it on an external drive. It seemed to work. It took hours. But then I saw there was still a recycle bin with one folder in it after it was all over.
That's the recycle bin folder. For as long as the recycle bin is active the folder will bethere. I believe you did a free space erase, that usually takes hours, yes.

rbmunkin said:
Also, I read that the drive has to be formatted after being erased like this. Is that true?
No, but doing so will empty the MFT if it is NTFS, if it is a FAT drive it makes no difference.

Back