Creation of files when I delete folders

elaphe44

Hello,

I'm using Eraser 5.88 under Windows 7 64bits.
I found something strange when I want to erase subfolders in folders. Example : If I'm located in c:\fred\ and I want to erase c:\fred\abcd. I do a right-clic on abcd and then clic on erase (with 3 - 7 or 35 passes).
It creates files, generally with a dll extension (in the fold c:\fred). Example : brcoinst.dll. It has never created the same file twice. Sometimes, it is a .com or .exe extension, or .cpl.
Generally, we find microsoft original dll located in c:\windows\system32 but are not the same size.

So, these created files are corrupted.

Do you have some explanation please ?
No viruses found with AVG and no spyware with Spybot.
Thanks a lot
Regards

Fred

These files serve as a plausible deniability kinda thing so that when investigators find random data on your drive it may actually trigger "alarms" -- such as them thinking that you may have shredded your files. Eraser 6 will only do this if you provide a list of files so no surprises will be in store... Eraser 5 will pick any file in the system directory.

No, it isn't spied by investigators, the feature is to attempt to stop them if they need to. It's a hypothetical, just in case your computer is used as forensic evidence.

Yes, not by spyware.

OK.
But, I don't understand what you mean by "the feature is to attempt to stop them if they need to". (I'm french and by english is not perfect :) )
To stop investigators ? To stop files ?
I have an other question. Do you know why these files are created only on this computer and only since two weeks ? No files created before !
Have I activated something or is it automatic ?

It's automatic, it was introduced in the Eraser 5.8 series.

It's there to act as plausible deniability. If an investigator were to find random data on the drive it would immediately be indicative of some sort of shredding program having been used; the files are overwritten upon erasure by such files to ensure that the data found looks "normal"

OK.
Are there rules for the creation of these files ?

With Eraser 6, there is not creation of such files ?

Eraser 5 uses any file in the Windows directory.
In Eraser 6 users must specify which files to use. It's in the settings page.

Joel said:
The files are overwritten upon erasure by such files to ensure that the data found looks "normal"
What do tou mean by "normal" ?
When I asked "Are there rules for the creation of these files ?", I wanted to know in which cases system files are sometimes created and kept, and sometimes are not ?
Regards

Any file in the Windows folder on your C: drive will be used, there aren't any rules there.

Back