Dan in Arizona :^) - The Trojan

garrett01

Administrator
Staff member
Dan in Arizona :^)

I have looked on CNET and must say you really need to get your facts correct before you post messages-> See like base of this mail.

Did you try to imagine the consequences of this!!! That the sucker is me answering emails from scared users. Did you never think of emailing me about this first?

Considerable time money and effort goes into maintaining the eraser site. I really do not need the extra work generated by people like you. With a little forethought you could have saved me a lot of pain.

I would appreciate if you could alter the message on CNET to better reflect the reality of the situation.

As stated in the other topic I have examined the phoenix download and all is well.

Garrett

---------
"TROJAN HORSE in Eraser 5.6 Download from Maintainer/Publisher Site"
I read many of the reviews last night and I clicked over to the Publisher CNET notes. He refers you to a new maintainer who has a newer version out, Eraser 5.6. I downloaded it from thier Phoenix site which gave me my first TROJAN HORSE which Norton Anti Virus identified. I emailed CNET to warn them that the Publisher link leads you down a path of getting a TROJAN HORSE...hope they remove it for future suckers like myself. After deleting the Trojan Horse, I uninstalled Eraser and deleted the download as well. Good luck out there...if it sounds to good and all that!

I checked the incriminated download with all trojan hunters I have.
The file is clean.
(In order to check the efficiency of the trojan hunters I do have
10 sample Trojans in their "launching pad" ready to go.)
NAV does find them all, so its very probable that the file IS clean. [:D]

Recipe for frustration:

Ingredients:

Idiot user (1)
Poor-performing anti-virus software (1).

Instructions:

Have the idiot user install the anti-virus software. Do not inform the idiot user that his anti-virus utility is not idiot-proof, perfect, or infallible to false alarms. (Dont even mention that false alarms are possible--this is liable to instill humility, common sense, and general knowledge, which is something to be avoided.)

Then, have the user install other, legitimate, non-infected software. If no false alarms take place, repeat with other valid, non-infected software titles.

Eventually, the idiot user will note a virus or trojan alert, and will take it at absolute face value. The idiot user will not think to try another detection utility, and, being an idiot, does not know how to verify for himself whether or not the detection is valid. Furthermore, the idiot will not know how to "clean" his system, much less submit the "sample" to his shoddy, cater-to-idiots anti-virus vendor for verification.

Now, sit back and watch the idiot user post in the most public fashion that he has discovered a trojan in the recently-installed software title.

Serve hot, to complement your boiling blood. Enjoy your frustration!

Back