DBAN Fails to Load

pricklypig

Hello everyone. I'm trying to use DBAN on a Compaq Presario 2200 runninig Windows 98! The machine is several years old. The program seems to boot and then hangs. I am trying to use the "interactive mode." Here is what I get on the screen:
boot:
Loading kernel.bzi . . . . . . . . . .
Loading initrd.gz . . . . . .
Ready.
Uncompressing Linux . . . Ok, booting the kernel. Please wait . . .
Then, nothing else happens.
:?:

Start DBAN with the verbose label:
Code:
boot: verbose

This will print startup information to the console. Report any error messages here.

If the startup information is not printed, then you probably have a bad floppy disk.

same problem

Having the exact same problem as pricklypig. Am working from a floppy disk (cannot get the cd to read in my machine). Have tried the verbose trick, still nothing. Any help would be appreciated...I would like to get this desktop off my desk top.

DBAn Error

We were having a similar error - if you are using the latest version 1.0.4, you might try going back to the previous version 1.0.3. Worked for us.

having trouble

I seem to be having the same problem, the program is hanging after it boots.

I typed in verbose, and I didn't see any error messages. But, the last two lines said:

Partition check:
/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0: unknown partition table

I'm not sure what that means, but I'm guessing that could be the problem. And, in case anyone is wondering I was running XP and Fedora 4 on a Dell Inspiron 2650. Also, I did use the latest DBAN, version 1.06. Thanks for the help.

I am having a similar problem with dban 1.0.6, both CD and floppy, on a Toshiba Satellite laptop. I ran verbose and got the following:

Partition check:
/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0: p1
SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00

This was using dban/loadlin, not Eraser, and I will try Eraser as soon as I can find another floppy around the house somewhere!

The partition table warning is spurious. Ignore it.

Try starting DBAN with "nofloppy" at the boot prompt instead.

I still haven't figured out a way to get DBAN to work on my Dell Inspiron 2650 hard drive. Is there a way to erase it setting it up as an external hard drive on another PC?

korinthe said:
I am having a similar problem with dban 1.0.6, both CD and floppy, on a Toshiba Satellite laptop. I ran verbose and got the following:

Partition check:

This was using dban/loadlin, not Eraser, and I will try Eraser as soon as I can find another floppy around the house somewhere!

Same problem for me on a Toshiba Satellite:

Partition check:

Any other suggestions please?

Steve

Laptop model: Toshiba Satellite 3000-S353 if it helps.

running dban 1.0.7 via floppy and CD

nofloppy just sits there.

verbose gives me:

Partition check:

Hopefully the laptop model number will help....

Thanks!

Steve

Buggy SCSI Hardware

For whatever reason, the Dell Inspiron 2650 doesn't like the Linux SCSI drivers (or perhaps the other way around). Live CD boots of Xubuntu and DamnSmallLinux require the boot option "noscsi" on this laptop, but that doesn't seem to be possible with DBAN.

Personally, I'll be looking for another option. I don't feel comfortable recompiling my own version of DBAN right now.

Back