DBAN won't load after booting from CD-R

sejong

DBAN won't load after booting from CD-R (a known good one that can be used boot other computers and load DBAN).

Using the verbose switch at the boot prompt, I notice that the program stops at the last line shown below (the immediately preceding lines are also shown):

scsi: <fdomain> Detection failed (no card)
NCR53c406a: no available ports found
sym53c416.c Version 1.0.0-ac

Earlier in the output, there is the following:

hda: TOSHIBA MK4019GAX, ATA DISK drive

Computer is a Toshiba Portege 3505 Taqble PC with no internal floppy drive or optical drive. It is booted in this case from an external DVD drive connected by a PCMCIA interface. This drive/interface is normally used to boot the computer to reinstall the OS.[/quote]

Thanks for the quick reply.

At the boot: prompt, I tried dban floppy=0,16,cmos

and got the same results as I orginally posted.

FYI, most of the "not found" and "error" messages in the verbose output are spurious. Drivers in the kernel complain when they are loaded and cannot find their hardware. These messages do not indicate hardware problems.

My guess is that a driver is hanging during its detection routine. Updating the BIOS in the laptop may solve the problem.

Past that, you should use another wiping product. If other Toshiba 3505 Tablet users report problems, then I'll add it to the DBAN errata list.

Once again, thanks for taking the time to reply.

The BIOS is version 1.40, which I believe is the latest.

Maybe another 3505 Tablet PC user will post their experience with DBAN.

Back