default settings are blank

rbmunkin

Hi,
I downloaded eraser to my desktop and it worked fine, version 6.0.6. some time ago.
Today I downloaded 6.0.8 because I wanted to get the installation file to move it to my laptop which is not connected to the Internet, so I can erase the files on the laptop securely since I am selling the laptop.
But there are no settings when I installed it on my laptop!
I get a message saying "the following settings held invalid values: default file erasure method...etc. These settings have now been set to naive defaults".
And the settings are blank and the drop down boxes are empty.

The laptop has Windows XP.

Any help?
Thanks,
RB

It's in the FAQ; read the post called 'Common Eraser Questions'. You are, for some reason, missing a Windows Root Certificates update.

David

DavidHB said:
It's in the FAQ; read the post called 'Common Eraser Questions'. You are, for some reason, missing a Windows Root Certificates update.

David

Thanks. Found it. Unfortunately I cannot get my laptop connected to the Internet in order to update Windows! Oh well, I guess I'll just delete the files and then do a "defrag" which if I'm right will write over the areas where the files were so they cannot be retrieved. Right?

Thanks,
RB

rbmunkin said:
Oh well, I guess I'll just delete the files and then do a "defrag" which if I'm right will write over the areas where the files were so they cannot be retrieved.
Sorry. I'm not saying that that wouldn't work, but if it did it would be a very happy accident. Users simply cannot control where data is physically stored on the drive. And that's without considering things like shadow copies (which are designed to be preserved after the original is deleted). If you want things deleted so that they cannot be recovered, you need a program like Eraser (the background workings of which are actually rather complex).

Is there no chance that you could borrow an internet connection for an hour or so?

David

If you're still having the problem, here's an alternative: I believe that I provided a link to the support page regarding the update. You can get an internet-connected computer to download the update and store it to a USB key or the like, and transfer the updater there. I know it may require Genuine Validation, but that's for the computer that's internet facing, anyway.

I have followed your posts on "blank default settings". I followed link on root certificate, but can find nothing here that a mere mortal can download or understand. I feel conversant with my machine and can do most things easily, but have come to dead end making Eraser work trying to wipe an old tower with the root certificate info. Is there something more you can offer here in terms of overcoming this issue? I have no functioning CD drives so chose program which I could use from USB. I have updated XP through service pack 2

I agree that Root Certificates are not the kind of issue a non-technical user should have to deal with. Your problem is actually a failure in Windows Update.

I have seen a suggested repair procedure for XP, which is
  • Go to Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs.
  • Click Add/Remove Windows Components.
  • Check the box - Update Root Certificates
Unfortunately, I don't have an XP machine to hand to test this with at this moment.

The Eraser website suggests that you require XP SP3 to run Eraser. Installing SP3 might well also solve the root certificates problem, as it applies a whole range of consolidated updates.

David

Back