Difference between Dban_i586 and Dban_i386

ishadows

Hello! :D Well, My question is what's the difference between this 2 versions.
Other question: How much time take to wipe a hard disk of 40gb with Dban and Eraser. -- What is better Eraser or Dban?
PD:I have a Processor Intel Celeron M of 1,46ghz.
PD:Hard Disk of 40GB Fujitsu Sata.
Thanks. :D

ishadows said:
My question is what's the difference between this 2 versions.
Don't know for sure (you'd get a more informed answer on the forum on Sourceforge), but I have to assume it relates to the processor version. Pentium and later is i586; so most every processor currently in use (including yours) will, I'd guess, use the i586 version.

ishadows said:
Other question: How much time take to wipe a hard disk of 40gb with Dban and Eraser. -- What is better Eraser or Dban?
They are different applications doing a different job. That is why DBAN was included in later versions of Eraser 5. Unfortunately, DBAN has not been updated or other than user supported for some years, so, as far as I know, there are no plans to include it in Eraser 6.

Use DBAN to 'nuke' a complete computer, using an OS which is, so to speak built into the application. Use Eraser, running under Windows, to erase one or more files or folders, free space on a drive or (in future versions) the whole of a non-system drive, and leave the rest of the system intact. I know of no properly documented speed comparison between the two; given their different functions, such a comparison would hardly be relevant.

David

Back