Drive Degradation

It's found in the root of the drive.

Joel

Eraser works very well - guess it is doing what is supposed smoothly - maybe a little slow but pretty much acceptable

Why does it leave an entry like an icon when you delete a file from desktop - when you reboot the icon will go away - and sometimes it will go away after some time, is this a bug or something i can work around?

Guess windows vista restore points are rather space comsuming - system keeps everything he he he, specialy if you enable it on more than one drive ... Your GB start desapearing misteriously until you delete the restore points

Regards...

NetPoo said:
Eraser works very well - guess it is doing what is supposed smoothly - maybe a little slow but pretty much acceptable

I am glad you like it.

NetPoo said:
Why does it leave an entry like an icon when you delete a file from desktop

I’m not sure, if you notice one again press F5 this will refresh your view and it should go away.

yes that did it.

Another question:
I notice that after erasing free space my defrag program went very active - it is still working - why ? did it loose track of the files and began grouping again or is it attempting to group ramdom overwriting data?

Is it one of those defrag programs that is constantly running in the background ?

Perhaps you might have had a schedule set for a defrag ?

If it is a constantly running one you might want to disable it when wiping free space.

It is a constantly running one that runs in background as service...

You mean I should disable it during erasing and afterwards enable it again?

Maybe it still gets confused no?

Yes, disable it. You'll experience a way faster erasure time. Most of the data Eraser writes to disk is junk information to clean the traces of the file. Whatever defrag tool you use should be told to ignore the activity since there is not going to be much benefit moving the files around (and actually is a bad thing. The file may be moved before the data is erased)

Joel

NetPoo said:
You mean I should disable it during erasing and afterwards enable it again?

Yes I would. I actually disable as much as I can before erasing the free space.

Back