Erase file option missing

dream7184

On my Vista machine, when I Right Click a file, the option to Erase or Eraser Secure Move are both missing. I've re-booted and installed Eraser again and no help.
On my XP desktop, both options are present.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

Hello,

I have the same issue running windows vista 64bit.

When i used to right click and drag a file from one folder to another in xp there was an option under the right click menu for eraser where i could select secure move, and it would move the file to new folder and secure delete where the file was.
But with windows Vista I see the eraser title with right click and drag but there are no options at all for a secure file move or any options at all.
And when i hover over the Eraser title no menu shows up like it used too and just the title Eraser with a solid > and no sub menu.

What has happened to the options to secure move a file?
I have totally uninstalled my virus protection thinking it was that and reinstall eraser but I still have same issue.
I have since reinstalled my Virus software.

Hope this is clear.
Thanks
Gren

In Vista, I have the option to erase a file, so there is something amiss with your installation.

The secure move feature will be implemented in the next version of Eraser; Joel is testing the code in the current development builds.

David

Thank you. I've since gotten the option to Erase to appear. I thought I used to have the option to Secure Move as well in Vista. Apparently that was only available with XP?

dream7184 said:
Thank you. I've since gotten the option to Erase to appear. I thought I used to have the option to Secure Move as well in Vista. Apparently that was only available with XP?
I see that you didn't say which version of Eraser you are using. Eraser 5 had a secure move feature. Eraser 6 is a complete re-write (using a different language and program architecture) and still lacks some of the features of Eraser 5; most of the missing items will be added to future releases of Eraser 6.

The OS version does not affect the available features of Eraser (any version). It may however affect the way it runs ... :)

David

Thanks for the reply. Eraser versions on both computers, XP and Vista, is 6.0.6 When I Rt Click on a file on XP I have the option to "Erase" and "Eraser Secure Move" On Vista when I Rt Click there is an Eraser icon with a pop out menu with 2 options: Erase and Erase on Restart.

I'm no longer using 6.0.6, and would recommend upgrading to 6.0.7, as there were a lot of bug fixes between versions. Perhaps this was one of them. Certainly, with 6.0.7, I get your Vista result on both XP SP3 and Windows 7. And I know that Joel has only recently started writing the secure move code for Eraser 6.

Another possibility is that your XP installation has picked up the context menu entry from an earlier installation of Eraser 5. Either way, I suggest a full uninstall and installing 6.0.7. There's no secure move, but at least you know that's on its way.

David

Hello,

Thanks for the quick replies to my post.
I have since reinstalled eraser on vista and i now have erase option.
I cant wait to get secure move back for vista.

Thanks again
Gren

Back