erase hard drive in sections?

A

Anonymous

hi, I am thinking of using eraser to clean up my hard drive. Is it good for the computer? I have heared it will make it run faster. This is my main reason for using it.
I tried it once ages ago and it took a long time, and now I have a computer with a bigger drive- I fear it could take days, which is impractical. Is there any way of doing it in chunks, a bit each day for instance?

fran said:
hi, I am thinking of using eraser to clean up my hard drive. I have heared it will make it run faster. This is my main reason for using it.
Eraser won't make your computer any faster. And if all you want to do is remove unneeded files, you can simply delete them, there is no need to use Eraser. Or better yet, you could try an application designed to delete the unwanted junk from your system. I am sure someone here is able to recommend you one.

Is there any way of doing it in chunks, a bit each day for instance?
I assume you are talking about erasing the unused disk space; no it cannot be done in chunks, and the only way to make the run faster is to use fewer overwriting passes, or disable erasing of some areas (from erasing preferences).

Back