erase swap file on reboot in winxp home

sniffdog13

i am using version 5.7 and want to enable the erase the page file on reboot function. under edit/ preferences/general their is a check mark for enabling the clear page file function. clearing is different then erasing. so i went to help file and it only covers windows 9x, nt, me. and 2000. i am running windows xp home w/service pak1. has anyone else ran across this anomolie? how do i check to see if in fact this function is erasing my swap file on reboot?

Swapfile Erase on XP

their is a check mark for enabling the clear page file function.
i went to help file and it only covers windows 9x, nt, me. and 2000. i am running windows xp
I have the same question. Since XP is an NT decendant, I assume this function works with XP. When I shutdown with the option checked, there certainly seems to be a longer delay with much disk access. Can someone confirm that XP does wipe the swapfile when this option is check in Eraser?

Thanks!

I have it checked and have my swapfile set to optimal wiping performance (minimum 150 - max 150mb or lower) and I havent seen any sign of it clearing it. I've checked the contents with encase and they still remain.

The setting for clearing the Page File in XP is a Microsoft setting:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management

ClearPageFileAtShutdown=1

(1 meaning it's clearing your Page File)

Look in your registry to confirm that it's working.

Look in your registry to confirm that it's working.
Yep, it's set to 1. And like I said, the computer certainly SEEMS to be doing something extra on shutdown.

Thanks!

ClearPageFileAtShutdown

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management

ClearPageFileAtShutdown=0
Meaning: "Inactive pages are not filled with zeros."

ClearPageFileAtShutdown=1
Meaning: "Inactive pages are filled with zeros."

"Specifies whether inactive pages in the paging file are filled with zeros when the system stops. This is a Windows Server 2003 (Windows XP and 2000 also) security feature that prevents the pages from being read by another process. The system cannot fill active pages with zeros because some are being used by the system or by other active processes."

"Changing this value can degrade the performance of your computer."

Copied from a Microsoft web site.

Back