Eraser 5.8.8-beta1 Released

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joel

Hello all,

I'm pleased to announce that Eraser 5.8.8-beta5 is ready for download. It includes a fix meant to ensure the Explorer context menu works on computers without .NET 3.5 and to solve a drive corruption problem with the First/Last 2KB erasure.

Read the full announcement and download it from there.

Joel

Some localization problems in at least two places when retaining configuration from the previous version. One in the about dialog, the other one effectively killing custom erasure methods.

+Verified the workaround fix for the drive corruption bug.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 4,783
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 4,793
Was Eraser running when you upgraded it? I'm building a new version because apparently I left a setting unchecked (unrelated to your current bug)...

Joel

No, only way to upgrade without having some files not being replaced is to uninstall the existing Eraser first and restarting after that. Not doing that will let you upgrade Eraser as well but then silently fail to replace those old files.

A rebuilt image of 5.8.8-beta1 has been uploaded. Please download again if you downloaded the binaries before this post.

Joel

I've done a bit more debugging and I've concluded that it was an error during the migration to Unicode that caused this problem. However, this will only affect the About dialog and not adversely affect the operation of Eraser.

Joel

Hi Joel,

I joined this Forum so that I can make some suggestions. I am using Vista SP2 and am trying out Eraser 5.8.8 beta 1.

Eraser 5 renames the file using the name of a system file after erasing. However, some users like myself like the way Eraser used to rename files after erasing i.e. with scrambled letters. Of course, some like the way it is now.

I would like to suggest that you have options in Eraser 5 to:

- rename files with scrambled letters;
- after erasing using whatever method, erase one more time with zeroes so that the content of the erased files show only zeroes.

Hope you will consider this.

It seems this beta has gone on forever. What are the chances of putting out a 'final' Version 5.8 ? THANKS ! !

I think you are right but since Joel is doing all the work it is up to him if 5.8.8 Final is ready. A word how close 5.8.8 release is wouldn't go amiss ether. :)

I'm currently working on a build system (see Trac, which has been skinned by yours truly ;)) which will allow builds to be made automatically available. Check back in a few days time. As for a final release, it'll earliest be the end of this year (sometime in December). I'll get back to you on comments in a bit.

Joel

pollution said:
Some localization problems in at least two places when retaining configuration from the previous version. One in the about dialog, the other one effectively killing custom erasure methods.
This has been fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back