Eraser 6.0.10.2620 does not complete task in Limited account

jimmyg

I have two machines (work and home) running Win XP SP3.

On my work machine, Eraser 6.0.10.2620 runs fine in my Admin account, but does not complete tasks in my Limited account (the task just stays in "Running" status forever--even for one tiny text file).

Uninstalling 6.0.10.2620 and reinstalling 6.0.9.2343 completes task as expected (in Admin and Limited accounts). I have reinstalled, installed, deleted the Eraser 6 folder containing the Task List, run as Admin, etc., several times; the only thing I have not tried is messing with the Registry. Could something be blocking Eraser 6.0.10.2620 (but not Eraser 6.09.2343) in my Limited account--even though I run it as Admin?

On my home machine, Eraser 6.0.10.2620 runs perfectly in Admin and Limited accounts--except the "Check for Updates" says 6.0.10.2620 is available even though it is already installed.

Thanks.

Re: Eraser 6.0.10.2620 does not complete task in Limited acc

What are you erasing on your work computer? Is it restricted to any file or is it a situation where no files at all will be erased?

When you double-click on the task while it is running, what does the dialog say? Is there any disc activity on the drive while the task is running?

This is indeed rather strange. The only culprit I can identify is the Force Locked Files to be Unlocked feature. Could you try disabling that and see if it will complete the task?

Joel said:
What are you erasing on your work computer? Is it restricted to any file or is it a situation where no files at all will be erased?

I erase stuff like scratch work, to-do text files, and other ordinary files on my local hard drive--nothing related to the operating system or anything on network drives. I also tried erasing text files containing a couple of characters, but their erasing tasks did not complete. No Recycle Bin erasing tasks complete. I haven't tried erasing files directly without going through the Recycle Bin (for fear of accidentally erasing something I didn't mean to erase :lol:).

Joel said:
When you double-click on the task while it is running, what does the dialog say? Is there any disc activity on the drive while the task is running?

Double-clicking on the task brings up the Task Property dialog and it doesn't look like anything is wrong, but the task does not complete. Right-clicking on the task and then clicking on "Cancel Task" does nothing; I have to right-click on the tray icon and exit Eraser to stop the tray icon from flashing. When I start Eraser back up, the task is still queued up. I've not looked at the disk activity LED while the task runs because my work computer is on the floor, but I will look next time.

Joel said:
This is indeed rather strange. The only culprit I can identify is the Force Locked Files to be Unlocked feature. Could you try disabling that and see if it will complete the task?

I tried erasing the Recycle Bin with the "Force locked files to be unlocked for erasure" checkbox checked and unchecked, but neither case allows Recycle Bin erasing tasks to complete. Maybe something on my work machine is causing problems with my Limited account because 6.0.10.2260 works fine in my work Admin account and my home Admin/Limited accounts. However, I can take thirty seconds to uninstall 6.0.10.2260, install 6.0.9.2343, delete the Eraser 6 folder containing the Task List, and then Recycle Bin erasing tasks erase just fine (as before) on my work Limited account.

I'm out of the office for a week, but I'll do more testing when I get back. Thanks!

So, even when the task is running, the icon in the system notification area is flashing, double-clicking on the running task will show you the task properties dialog?!

Did I understand you correctly?

Joel said:
So, even when the task is running, the icon in the system notification area is flashing, double-clicking on the running task will show you the task properties dialog?!

Did I understand you correctly?

Sorry! I remembered incorrectly :oops:. I tried it again this morning and here is what I get when double-clicking on the running task:

The green part of the progress bar moves, but nothing else happens. I was trying to overwrite about 20MB of data (in about a dozen files) in the Recycle Bin using the Pseudorandom Data (1 pass) file erasure method. The HDD LED appeared normal (i.e., not blinking constantly or rapidly), so I don't think anything was being overwritten.

Attachments

• Erasure Progress.jpg
    Erasure Progress.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 3,216

Okay, can you list the drives plugged into your computer, including virtual drives (eg TrueCrypt volumes) and any external media or optical drives on your computer?

I think the recycle bin enumeration code is encountering some problems.

My work computer has one hard-disk drive, one optical drive, and around ten network drives mapped to folders on various servers. Do you need to know the exact specs of the HDD and optical drives?

Also, I tried right-clicking on a file and then selecting Eraser > Erase, and the file appeared to erase fine. So I think my issue occurs only when erasing files in the Recycle Bin.

No, what I do need to know is how many of the network drives you have write access to... if any. Eraser will search for recycle binds on mounted network drives too, so that could be the reason.

The Limited account on my work computer has write access to ten network drives. The Admin account on my work computer has write access to three network drives and erasing the Recycle Bin with Eraser 6.0.10.2620 works fine there.

I'm thinking maybe one (or more) of those seven additional network drives in my Limited account is causing the issue with Eraser 6.0.10.2620, but not Eraser 6.09.2343.

I think it unlikely that what does not cause problems for Eraser 6.0.x will cause problems for 6.1.x . There is, of course, a great deal of code and functional commonality between the two versions, and, where 6.1 has branched off from 6.0, Joel has been working hard to reproduce the older functionality as well as adding new features.

What I suspect Joel meant is that there is some aspect of the Recycle Bin folder on one or more of the network drives which is causing the problem, and he would like to know what it is so that, if possible, he can code round that issue and prevent the task stalling.

David

You got it right; I'm suspecting that Eraser's trying to list and erase files in a recycle bin to which you do not have access permissions to. Have you tried disconnecting from the network drives (such that the drive letter is removed as well and then re-run the task?)

Unfortunately, my limited account appears to be restricted from disconnecting network drives, as the Disconnect option is grayed out. :(

Back