Eraser 6.0.5.1114 (rc-5) Released

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Joel,

I am using Vista SP2 and have tried Eraser 6 RC 5.

Unfortunately, I uninstalled it because:

- it keeps on crashing Windows Explorer and slows down my computer;
- I don't like the system tray icon which keeps on telling me that a task has completed, unlike Eraser 5.

I suggest that you have options to :

- remove the system tray icon and the results of erasing;
- after right-clicking a file/folder, show erasing 'options' as in Eraser 5.
- in Settings, instead of us having to add the files for denial plausibility, have another option "use system files" to rename files as in Eraser 5.

Hello Charlie,

charlie said:
it keeps on crashing Windows Explorer and slows down my computer;
Hmm, do you have any hard figures that demonstrate the extent of the performance degradation? (where the degradation occurs will be of great use!) I don't think Eraser 6 has any major decrease in performance compared to v5. As for crashing Windows Explorer, have you tried disabling the Eraser context menu? Does that help?

charlie said:
I don't like the system tray icon which keeps on telling me that a task has completed, unlike Eraser 5.
That unfortunately will stay, it is a deliberate design decision and there will always be a group of people unhappy with the decision (as there are people happy with the new design)

charlie said:
after right-clicking a file/folder, show erasing 'options' as in Eraser 5.
That is possible but I think it does not really add value - you should be setting sensible defaults instead, unless you are saying that for every file you use different settings? What is your workflow like, it'd be good if you can share then I can see how Eraser can be adapted to suit users like you.

charlie said:
in Settings, instead of us having to add the files for denial plausibility, have another option "use system files" to rename files as in Eraser 5.
Once again, this is done because people have pointed out that when erasing a data-only drive it is rather suspicious to have system DLLs in the drive. If you want system files to be used for plausible deniability then you can add the C:\Windows\System32 folder to the list, it should have the equivalent effect.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Joel

charlie said:
I don't like the system tray icon which keeps on telling me that a task has completed, unlike Eraser 5.
I was thinking about the design for 6.2 with the new architecture for Service-based erasing and it does seem that it will make sense if the progress dialog were like the usual Windows deleting progress notifications. I think that's a good compromise between what we have now and what used to be in v5.

Joel

I'm very sorry about the massive delay in my replies (this one in particular), a lot has been going on lately.

To get back to the previous systray issue:
Joel said:
Is Eraser doing anything when you close the system tray? How long has Eraser been running, if you opened the main program before closing Eraser will it exit? Are tasks being run when you close Eraser?
It seems like it's connected with whether or not Eraser has been "opened" or maximized after system boot. I have Eraser set to start with Windows (Windows 7 RTM x64), if Eraser is closed before maximizing the Main window GUI, the problem occur, although if Eraser has been maximized at least once, before closing, the problem does not occur.

On a side note, I have a small feature request for you. Would it be possible to make the scheduler delete selected items, using the "Del" button?

I've got your Del key request in Trac, will work on it in a short while.

As for the menu locking up, I still can't get a proper trace. It doesn't help that Win7 RC doesn't have public symbols available for me to do a stack trace... I'll install RTM (later next month) and see if I can get a trace.

Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back