Eraser 6.0.6.1376 Problems

PB07

Eraser 6.0.6.1376

Windows XP & 7 Home Premium

1) When trying to erase files i often get

"Eraser cannot connect to the running instance for erasures."

at random. Sometimes erase works, sometimes you get the error. Doesn't seem to be dependant on the tray icon running.

2) Also leaves random named folder after right click Erase of a folder. Folder can be deleted but not erased.

3) Does the tray icon have to be running all the time? I preferred the old way where the trays icon could be disabled and a file or folder erase bought up a progress box. Instead it's all hidden in the tray.

1. Does it help when Eraser is left running in the background? The Tray icon is necessary for Eraser to do its thing in v6.
2. If you were to refresh the folder containing the new folder does the randomly named folder disappear? Does the log say anything about errors deleting the folder?
3. Yes the tray icon must be kept running all the time. This allows Eraser to perform erasures at a different privilege level from other processes (so you can, or example, call free space erasures from the shell context menu)

1. Does it help when Eraser is left running in the background?

No.
PB07 said:Sometimes erase works, sometimes you get the error. Doesn't seem to be dependant on the tray icon running

The Tray icon is necessary for Eraser to do its thing in v6

:-(

2. If you were to refresh the folder containing the new folder does the randomly named folder disappear?

No. Otherwise i wouldn't be able to delete it normally using Windows.
PB07 said:Folder can be deleted but not erased.

Does the log say anything about errors deleting the folder?

Something like Erase completed with errors. Eraser is now in-unstalled.

3. Yes the tray icon must be kept running all the time. This allows Eraser to perform erasures at a different privilege level from other processes (so you can, or example, call free space erasures from the shell context menu)

:-(

PB07 said:
Something like Erase completed with errors. Eraser is now in-unstalled.
I'll need the exact text from the log viewer. The "completed with errors" status is just an indicator for users to investigate the problem (and/or copy to the forum). "completed with errors" doesn't give any indication as to what the underlying problem is. Could you get the error message back to me?

Thanks.

I set up 2 folders in my download folder with some files in. NONE of the files are in use.

Session: 16 December 2009 16:56:51
16 December 2009 16:56:51 Error The process cannot access the file 'C:\Users\username\Downloads\1uRRksCdNiae5!SS~Huk)\' because it is being used by another process.
16 December 2009 16:56:55 Error The process cannot access the file 'C:\Users\username\Downloads\RuH{exZ0{kk7Ki R_9E,NV\' because it is being used by another process.

Those filenames are NOT the original filenames but the random ones they are now stuck with. It's like Eraser is locking the folders so Eraser can't remove them. Oh and the tray icon was running.

Can we have the option to either

a) run the tray icon on Windows Startup

or

b) not have the tray icon run on windows startup but load when needed and then unload when finished with

:?:

Well, that prevents the recurring tasks from running as scheduled.

It would be the users choice and i won't run a program like this on a scheduled basis anyway.

Back