Eraser 6.0.7 doesn't work in Win 7

pristine2

I switiched to Win 7 after a hard disk crash. Wasn't a smooth installation, but it seems stable.

Except for Eraser 6.0.7, which doesn't work from the contex menu. Either it claims to have erased the file "with errors" (but the file remains untouched," or a box pops up saying "an error has occurred: (null)."

I've uninstalled and reinstalled. No help.

Eraser was super stable and efficient on XP.

Any thoughts appreciated.

The bugs which caused Eraser 6.0.6 to run badly or not at all under Windows 7 have been fixed, and 6.0.7 runs perfectly well on my (Windows 7 x64, Vista x64 and XP Pro) machines.

It would be helpful to have more details of your problem. Do the failed context menu tasks appear in the task pane? If they do, what does the log say? (Right click on the task and select 'View Task Log', then select entries and right click on them to copy them for pasting into a message.) Can you erase satisfactorily by creating a specific task or by dragging and dropping the files to be erased on to the task pane? Was this the first install of Eraser under Win 7, or did you, for instance, install over another version?

David

The most frequent error appears in a bubble from the lower right on the task bar, say "(filename & location) has completed with errors." That bubble disappears when I try to right or left click on it.

The file I tried to erase is still there, untouched.

Somehow it feels like my installation is complete, no matter how many times I reinstall. In my XP version of eraser, a window would pop up asking me if I wanted to use different erase options. I son't see any place to set up those options now.

Launching eraser from the start programme button, it takes me to a page "Erase Schedule". At the top right of that page, it says "Eraser 6.0.6," even though the version number says 6.0.7.1893 in "about eraser" under the "help" menu.

Thanks,
Richard

I just installed 6.0.7 on emachines E725 running Win 7 64 bit.
First install would not work.
Second install was executed as "administrator" even though my account is "admin".
(right click on the .exe) click on "Run as Administrator".

I hope this helps.

You'll need to elaborate on "would not work." Please describe in detail what doesn't work.

pristine2 said:
The most frequent error appears in a bubble from the lower right on the task bar, say "(filename & location) has completed with errors." That bubble disappears when I try to right or left click on it.

The file I tried to erase is still there, untouched.
Refresh the folder view. If it's still there, check the Task log (right click the task | View Task Log)

pristine2 said:
Somehow it feels like my installation is complete, no matter how many times I reinstall. In my XP version of eraser, a window would pop up asking me if I wanted to use different erase options. I son't see any place to set up those options now.
The feature couldn't be implemented in the v6 timeframe, that's due for 6.2.

pristine2 said:
Launching eraser from the start programme button, it takes me to a page "Erase Schedule". At the top right of that page, it says "Eraser 6.0.6," even though the version number says 6.0.7.1893 in "about eraser" under the "help" menu.
ACK I forgot to change the version string in the bitmap. Thanks for the report though, but it's a wee bit too late to rectify... having multiple builds of one version isn't good and this bug doesn't affect operations, so I'd rather leave it as it is.

Thanks!

Joel said:
You'll need to elaborate on "would not work." Please describe in detail what doesn't work.

If you were referring to my post, after installing by running the setup.exe. The install completed normally.
I tried to erase free space with "run immediately" option.
Log file showed "You do not have authorization to run this program.
I uninstalled Eraser.
Reboot.
I then right clicked on the setup.exe and chose "Run as Administrator".
Everything now runs a it advertised.

Thanks

Uhh, the installer SHOULD start as an administrator automatically, the manifest would cause the OS to start it as an administrator. Reinstalling would not change the behaviour.

You're probably referring to Run as Administrator when starting Eraser. Which is required for unused space erasures and has been ever since Vista introduced UAC: http://bbs.heidi.ie/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5309.

Joel said:
Uhh, the installer SHOULD start as an administrator automatically, the manifest would cause the OS to start it as an administrator. Reinstalling would not change the behaviour.

You're probably referring to Run as Administrator when starting Eraser. Which is required for unused space erasures and has been ever since Vista introduced UAC: http://bbs.heidi.ie/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5309.

I do not Run as Administrator when launching Eraser.
My account is admin level.

All I can say is my second approach resolved the issue for me.

Thanks

Emachines E725
Dual core Intel T4400
3gb ram

That IS the expected behaviour. That's how UAC works.

Back