Eraser 6.0.8.2273 occupied a lot of memory while wiping...

Re: Eraser 6.0.8.2273 occupied a lot of memory while wiping.

Joel, may be so much memory allocation occurs because of wrong .NET installation and that's why garbage collector can't work properly, but all the same Eraser occupies a lot of memory even it works properly! Can you answer me why you need so much memory to erase unused disk space? For what do you need it?

I think that unused disk space makes in 3 steps:
1) Create a big file that occupied all of free disk space and fill it with choosen method.
2) Erase MFT records if there is an NTFS partition.
3) Erase cluster tips.

If all of these steps doing with unbuffered IO, there is no necessity to alloc a lot of memory. Why you don't use unbuffered IO?

Eraser doesn't allocate that much memory to do I/O. That's the issue here, something is allocating memory (no idea what) so we need to figure out what is causing the allocations. By design, the task should require less than 64MB of RAM.

Could you try disabling the Force locked files to be unlocked for erasure setting in the Settings? Also, when there is heavy memory consumption, can you check how many threads are there?

Joel said:
Could you try disabling the Force locked files to be unlocked for erasure setting in the Settings? Also, when there is heavy memory consumption, can you check how many threads are there?
Just a minute...

Remember to Save Settings.

It is strangely! After I have reinstalled .NET 3.5.1 Eraser 6.0.8.2273 can't run - Windows close it. Deleting and new install could not solve the problem.

So I installed Eraser 6.1.0.2284 and it works. Next I turn off the option "the Force locked files to be unlocked for erasure" and I run tasks to wipe unused disk space on 2 partitions.

I could not reproduce the problem! I don't know because of what it happened. 3 reasons:

1) Reinstalled .NET 3.5.1
2) New version of Eraser 6.1.0.2284(am a pity only not stable version).
3) Turning off the option "the Force locked files to be unlocked for erasure".

There were always 13 threads during Eraser's work:
4d1d9d85.png

Then we try, using 6.1.0, with the force locked files to be unlocked option set to on. If the process creates many threads and allocates plenty of memory, that's our culprit.

Otherwise, we'll see how to get 6.0.8 installed.

At first were 17 threads, but some time later there were only 13 threads. Eraser 6.1.0.2284 also worked and finished the tasks but it used more memory with option "the Force locked files to be unlocked for erasure".
738a6650.png

b99235fe.png

c2efe131.png

One question: why Eraser 6.0.8.2273(as stable version) has ceased to work?

usoferaser said:
One question: why Eraser 6.0.8.2273(as stable version) has ceased to work?
That's what Joel wants to find out. Remember that in his view (as in mine) this is fundamentally a .NET problem, and there is every reason to believe that it is installation specific.

David

Back