Eraser 6.0 status display?

Double click on the running task.

If it takes a while to complete you can go to the Eraser program (in the tray) and double click the Recycle Bin task that's executing. But if the task completes very quickly then I'd reckon there's no need to view the status, would there? The task will be retained if the task completed with errors.

Yes. The new system is however to allow users to continue doing what they were doing without interruption. It was rather annoying (some feel anyway) that explorer can't be used for the duration the erase was in progress.

5.8 still maintains the old behaviour.

You could copy the error log here (it's somewhere on your computer; if you don't know where it is it's fine) and it will be of great help for solvingthese crashes.

I don't know where to find it.

I was trying to erase stuff in the recycle bin and windows just said that Eraser stopped working.

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium.

I was thinking about uninstalling 6.0 and going back to 5.8

It's one of those things which happen randomly and impossible to debug...

Nope, there shouldn't be.

Well, the decision was made not to.

In 6.2 the status display will be different (I have it planned) where the erase progress dialog will appear (like Eraser 5) but adopts the style of Windows Explorer (such that you can minimise etc, like the Move and Copy file dialogs). But that will require significant redesigns and will not be out for a pretty long while. In addition, a summarised progress list will be visible from the system tray area (like the Windows 7 Network tray thing)

Just a preview.

Joel said:
Yes. The new system is however to allow users to continue doing what they were doing without interruption. It was rather annoying (some feel anyway) that explorer can't be used for the duration the erase was in progress.

5.8 still maintains the old behaviour.
Isn't it possible for the background task to create a pop-up window, emulating the old behaviour? This way we get the best of both worlds. The status pop-up window is not modal because it is not related to the explorer task window, but users still get immediate visual feedback of what is actually going on (or in case of errors what went wrong.)

Personally I find myself constantly ignoring the actual messages inside of notification area tooltips. So it's a bit odd to have a background notification for a foreground task. Back ground notification is the easily ignorable tooltip of Erasure 6 tasks in this case, and foreground task is my user action of starting an erase job of which I need immediate feedback from.

A status window which is not modal is still ideal! It's an immediate response to the action you have just performed (starting an erasure run), but it can be put into the background and you can continue with what you're doing in the window explorer after you have confirmed that the Erasure task is actually running ok.

At the moment I have to constantly click the tooltip bubble on the lower left corner to see if the Erasure task is going well or not. Very distracting from my work flow.

Well, you get two notifications, one for the start of the task, one for the ending, and the ending of the task results in either a success or error notification.

Also, the task is a background one, not a foreground one, hence the results should be displayed in the background. In any case, the UI couldn't be done in any way because .NET can't be used in Explorer. Like I've mentioned somewhere else, Eraser is already finding ways around the problem and yes while I agree it's less than optimal, we don't have all the resources in the world to implement everything perfectly, as much as one tries to.

Hi there, just to pick up on the previous point, I also really need to see how long it will take - but the progress box is just stuck saying "Querying Status" - I'm erasing a 1 TB external USB hard drive, using Gutmann 35 for the main erasing and Gutmann lite 10 for the unused spaces - any idea how long that's going to take??
(Sorry but I didn't quite follow when you said: "If it takes a while to complete you can go to the Eraser program (in the tray) and double click the Recycle Bin task that's executing." - do you mean go to Windows Explorer and double click on the Eraser option which I can see when right clicking on the recycle bin?? I am a bit scared to do this before you confirm in case it stops the erasing and I've got to start again - already been going for over 8 hours!)
Many thanks in advance

I do think that you are running a free space erase on your external drive and the reason it's taking so long is that you're using a 10-pass overwriting pattern (that's really overkill, as of today)

However you did mention that the progress dialog is still "querying status" so it does make me think that the disk is at the MFT cleaning bit. Is your disk currently "full?" or is the free space on your disk still decreasing?

Thanks for the quick reply.
Well its an "empty" drive, I've already formatted it, its just showing about 100MB on the drive properties but you can't actually see the files so maybe some system stuff?
I want to erase it very securely as I am just about to sell this to someone (its a private sale, don't know them) so obviously want to make sure no one can ever restore any of my data.
I had to re-start it in the end as my PC crashed, it didn't seem to like me starting up Windows Media Player - but I've had a few BSODs recently, I'm usually doing several things at once but you would have thought with quite a new PC, triple core processor, and 4GB memory it could handle all that at the same time - or maybe its Windows 7 still isn't up to the job?
Anyway had Eraser running for a few hours again now and still got the Querying Status in the Progress box....

Back