Eraser 6.07.1893 eats my free space

beardypete

Hi,

I know that this issue has been discussed by others in the FAQ topic, but there was a request that this issue be posted as a support topic.

My problem is that as Eraser cleans free space it creates a folder in the root of the drive/partition being processed and proceeds to fill this with junk until Windows complains that the drive is full. In my case up to 65GB has 'disappeared' in this way. Previous versions of Eraser didn't behave this way. The spare 15GB on my C drive disappears with alarming speed, the 65GB I referred to is the spare space on my D: partition.

I could keep deleting the content of this folder, but it's hardly the background process that I was used to previously. I could just leave Eraser to get on with things on its own.

I'm running XP service pack 3 BTW

TIA
Pete

Actually, Eraser 5 did sometimes have this problem. Joel has been working hard to deal with its somewhat complex causes, and I have not seen the problem with more recent builds, including the latest 6.0.8 build, which is close to being the next service release. So my advice is to uninstall 6.0.7 and to replace it with 6.0.8.2273.

David

Oh-- at this point I'd recommend against using the nightly Eraser 6 builds unless you intend to keep testing them for us... there are some very minor differences between my builds and the build server (mainly versioning.) To switch between both would need your removing of the task list and registry entries, if I'm not mistaken.

It's actually a nice call, and rather depends on how irritating the problem is to the user who is having to live with it. In this case, the OP has made it clear that he is irritated, so he is not going to want to wait that long for a 6.0.8 release. I haven't yet managed to break build 2273, by the way ... :)

David

I think, my point is that 6.0.8 will be out REALLY soon (read: within the next 3 days) that the benefit of using a nightly would seem to be very negligible vs the maintenance required.

Joel said:
I think, my point is that 6.0.8 will be out REALLY soon (read: within the next 3 days) that the benefit of using a nightly would seem to be very negligible vs the maintenance required.
I agree that 3 days is not long to wait.

David

I just installed Eraser 6.0.8 and have the same problem on WIN XP. Before erasing I had 91% free space on my HD. Now it's only 5% after erasing. How can I solve this problem? I'm not a programmer nor an advanced user. Thanks.

Aaron1313 said:
How can I solve this problem?
Please, please, read the FAQ. It's fully documented there.

David

Back