Eraser 6 command line issues

captainmidnight

OK, so Eraser 6 has done away with eraserl.exe, and you access Eraser.exe directly instead. Fine. But here are some issues that I have found:

1) I had to add the Eraser install directory to my path in order for the the Eraser command to be available to my dos shell; I do not recall having to do that for Eraser 5 (indeed, I must not have, since when I edited my path just now, I did not see an entry for Eraser 5).

2) I have a weekly scheduled task that executes a bat script which, among other things, uses Eraser to wipe the free space on several volumes. My old eraser command lines looked like this:
Code:
eraser  -disk C:  -method Random 1  -silent  -queue
From what I understand, the new Eraser 6 equivalent command line would be:
Code:
eraser  addtask  --method=bf8ba267-231a-4085-9bf9-204de65a6641  --schedule=now  --unused=C:,clusterTips

The above actually seems to execute, but it does so asynchronously instead of synchronously. That is, the eraser command soon returns, since it starts a new process which does the actual erasing concurrently with the process executing my bat script. This is a disaster, since my script goes on to do other stuff like defrag the volume in question.

What I need is for that eraser command line to not return until the action has finished.

Furthermore, there has gotta be a more user friendly way of specifying the method type than that unreadable huge number!!!

Am I using Eraser 6 wrong? Is there a way to get it to work as needed?

Thanks much.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Joel, you listening?

I will have to downgrade back to eraser 5 if the command line version in eraser 6 only executes asynchronously...

Eraser 6 is designed to be run asynchronously. The command-line interface is currently not designed for public consumption (as seen in the fact that documentation there is still TBD) so it's use-at-your-own-risk. By all means, stick with v5 if you feel inclined to.

Joel said:
Eraser 6 is designed to be run asynchronously. The command-line interface is currently not designed for public consumption (as seen in the fact that documentation there is still TBD) so it's use-at-your-own-risk. By all means, stick with v5 if you feel inclined to.

Joel, thanks for responding. Are there any plans to ever offer a synchronous mode, or is the future with Eraser asynch only?

That is a valid use-case, so I think in future (6.2 timeframe) we may implement this. Could you create a bug in Trac so that when 6.2 development continues this will be noted?

Thanks.

Back