Eraser 6-rc3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Follow up:
When I started looking at the settings I found that the "Erase settings" are empty and there are no choices in the drop down lists.

Bithead said:
OK. Fresh install of Eraser 6.0.3.847

A couple of issues:
-I tried letting the Eraser install package install .NET, unfortunately it seems that the installer calls for .NET 3.5 (which times out) rather than the more current 3.5 SP1.
The installer I've included is .NET 3.5 SP1

Bithead said:
On first launch I received the following error message:

The following settings held invalid values:
Default file erasure method
Default unused space erasure method
Randomness data source

These settings have now been set to naive (sic) defaults.

Please check that the new settings suit your required level of security.
You most probably didn't install the Eraser Root Certificate which is what I use to release betas with. Eraser relies on plugins and therefore it checks for valid certificates included inside plugins before allowing it to run by default. The "default" plugin is also a plugin and therefore it needs to have a certificate too. Short of purchasing a commercial certificate which costs somewhere above $100, I've only been able to create a root cert and ask users to install before running Eraser. The instructions are at http://eraser.heidi.ie/trac/wiki/InstallingBetas

Joel

Joel said:
The installer I've included is .NET 3.5 SP1
OK. I did not remember seeing where it said SP1 on the installer. Nonetheless it still kept timing out trying to contact the download site.

Joel said:
You most probably didn't install the Eraser Root Certificate which is what I use to release betas with. Eraser relies on plugins and therefore it checks for valid certificates included inside plugins before allowing it to run by default. The "default" plugin is also a plugin and therefore it needs to have a certificate too. Short of purchasing a commercial certificate which costs somewhere above $100, I've only been able to create a root cert and ask users to install before running Eraser.
I did not install the cert (I have now). Just out of curiosity do the $29 GoDaddy Standard SSL certs not work for plugin signing? I do not use them for any of the sites my commercial clients host but use them for a lot of firewall and vpn certificates.

Hmm, I believe Microsoft has added extensions to the certificate format which explicitly require the "Code Signing" use so I'm not sure if those certificates will do. That said, I've not really explored all possible options as my focus is currently on getting version 6 ready for full distribution.

Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back